Calif. City OK With Seizing Mortgages From Banks

Started by 11B4V, September 11, 2013, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Right up Seedy's alley sticking it to the establishment.

Quote(Newser) – Eminent domain is usually used to seize homes from people, but Richmond, California, in the early hours of this morning gave a tentative green light to a plan that would use it to keep people in their homes. In a contentious 4-3 vote, the city council voted to continue pursuing a plan under which it would offer to buy and modify 624 underwater mortgages from banks—and use eminent domain to seize them if the banks refused, CBS 5 reports. Some 300 residents showed up for the meeting last night, the San Francisco Chronicle reports, with many wearing a yellow or red shirt to signal their stance on the issue.

The council also rejected a proposal to force the investment firm it's partnering with, Mortgage Resolution Partners, to provide insurance against lawsuits from unhappy lenders. Wells Fargo and Deutsche Bank have preemptively sued, in a case that hits court tomorrow. MRP has proposed similar programs elsewhere, but financial industry outrage has prevented it, Reuters explains. But Richmond has an eager Green Party mayor, Gayle McLaughlin, and about half its homeowners are underwater, owing more than their homes are worth. Other towns have also expressed interest in eventually joining in.

http://www.newser.com/story/174091/calif-city-ok-with-seizing-mortgages-from-banks.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_top
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Richmond is a shithole. Don't ever go there. I was once refused service at a Taco Bell because I was white. That happened in Richmond. Also, the only high school I've ever seen with full-prison precautions in place. Mantrap fence to get in, barbed wire all over the place, everything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 11, 2013, 01:37:34 PM
Richmond is a shithole. Don't ever go there. I was once refused service at a Taco Bell because I was white. That happened in Richmond. Also, the only high school I've ever seen with full-prison precautions in place. Mantrap fence to get in, barbed wire all over the place, everything.

Taco Time > Taco Smell
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Seriously, I was lost once and noticed I was driving on highway near Richmond. I kept going before pulling over to figure out where I was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Hah, you should have sued the restaurant. Maybe get a few grand out of it, or at least a few sandwiches.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

I was once refused service at a Taco Bell because I was white. That happened in Richmond.

Wrong.  I was there.  It wasn't because you were white.  It was because you weren't driving an import.  Creepy ass Chevy.

Ideologue

Black-hatin' Languish aside, this is a fabulous plan.  I've been suggesting for years that we use eminent domain to create the command economy we need.  This is an important first step.

I hope when the bought judges rule against the council, they do it anyway.  NOW LET HIM ENFORCE IT.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I'd like to create a command economy where Ide waits 6 hours in line for shitty toilet paper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 11, 2013, 06:35:10 PM
I'd like to create a command economy where Ide waits 6 hours in line for shitty toilet paper.

Shitty toilet paper = previously used toilet paper?

:o

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!