News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World in Flames - Beta

Started by Syt, September 10, 2013, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

This is a good spot explaining why I have doubts about the VASSAL module being comparable to this game (was made on topic of how long a game would take:

QuoteDuring game play all the arguing about the rules will disappear (or be even more pointless than usual). But the fastest increase will be in the calculations and determining which units can move. Odd bits like out-of-supply naval units having 1 less movement point, damaged naval units having their defense factor increased by one, intercepting fighters having only half their range, bombers flying at extended range having half their bombing factors, all the effects of weather and terrain on combat, units having to cooperate in order to participate in an air mission, and on and on. Then the actual calculations for land, naval, and air combats will evaporate, since the program works that all out for you.

But two of the biggest time savers will be having the sequence of play rigidly enforced (and visible for inspection at a mouse click), and finding which air units can move during all the 8 air missions, naval air phase, and air rebase phase. Zero time will be spent examining stacks of units looking for air units that are capable of flying in the current phase/subphase.

There is also a ton of information available that relieves the players of the burden of remembering and/or figuring things out. For example, how many land units have you moved in this Combined action? Is this unit in supply now that the weather is Snow?

Tamas

Like the screenshots or not, the game manuals look awesome:

There is an optional map set for the whole thing, which is the map in the computer version printed out on a scale to fit with the boardgame counters. There was no room to put it all up, so there`s only this scale representation:

:D

CountDeMoney

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on October 18, 2013, 06:07:08 AM
Like the screenshots or not, the game manuals look awesome:

I'm gonna have to get a bigger house.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2013, 06:28:55 AM
I smell a broken game.

Given the frustration I'm "enjoying" at the moment you may well have been right.

The guy who programmed this seems to have spent a lot of time stripping out what worked from the Marrinacci version and failing to make the replacement work without annoying little niggles.

And the production planning screen is a masterpiece of "WTF".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

What a shocker. A Matrix game that doesn't work right.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Heh, just realised that I'm listed in the credits section of the game as a pre-2006 Beta Tester. After 38 years as a "total nonentity" I've finally advanced one level to "utter nonentity"! :showoff: :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1330/World.in.Flames.download.version.now.available

QuoteSince the release of World in Flames the single most common request from the community has been for a download only product.

Well, this is another occasion where we have listened and worked to find a solution.
You can now buy World in Flames as a download only title from the product page: none of the shipment charges of the luxury edition with three books and humongous map pack, and the game gets delivered to your mailbox in seconds.
Nothing can stop you getting your hands on the game now, you just have to follow the link.

Price of boxed version: €77.99 + VAT (comes with FREE download)
Price of download version: €77.99 + VAT

:lol: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

The price in Canadian is way more outrageous.

Download Edition
CAD 115.99+tax
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

You get what you pay for. Shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

I picked this up on sale for $20. It is...amazingly deep. Ridiculously so. There is so much there!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2020, 03:46:38 PM
Yeah, but does it work?
Hell if I know. The amount of content is just crazy though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I'm not saying that you should upload a copy somewhere I can find it or anything.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien