Main Menu

World in Flames - Beta

Started by Syt, September 10, 2013, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It appears Matrix is looking for beta testers for WiF:

http://www.matrixgames.com/beta/

(and GG's War in the West)

Considering the game has been in development at least since, oh, Two-Thousand-Fucking-Four, I'm not sure this means that the game is close to release or if there's too much attrition in the team at this point. The game has been in development for LONGER THAN THE WAR LASTED!

Didn't they nix the AI for this one, too? Like for Empires At War?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

The problem is that there is an online WiF community and play on Vassal. The community went off and did it on their own. The AI will be crap and pointless.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

PDH

This would have been so great a decade ago.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2013, 01:10:28 PM
The problem is that there is an online WiF community and play on Vassal. The community went off and did it on their own. The AI will be crap and pointless.

From the product page:
QuoteIMPORTANT NOTE: This title does not include an AI player in the initial release.  It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames.

Also the beta recruitment post says it will be out in November.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2013, 04:42:42 AM

From the product page:
QuoteIMPORTANT NOTE: This title does not include an AI player in the initial release.  It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames.

Also the beta recruitment post says it will be out in November.

so, basically completely redundant

I played around with one of the much earlier betas (it was called a beta at the time) and the interface was just bad and convoluted

vassal is just better in every way.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2013, 04:58:45 AM

unless you want to PBEM with Berkut.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2013, 05:01:07 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2013, 04:58:45 AM

unless you want to PBEM with Berkut.

Rest assured, that will not happen.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on September 10, 2013, 08:18:17 PM
This would have been so great a decade ago.

Yeah, a decade or two ago I would have been all over this.  But now? As the wise men said, Meh.

Bluebook

How do they handle the sequence of play?

Viking

Quote from: Bluebook on September 13, 2013, 12:25:38 AM
How do they handle the sequence of play?

by being online simultaneously.

The Larch

Tamas, are you involved in this? I see that the NDA agreement for the beta is with Slytherine...  :ph34r: