Most likely historical figure to have been a time traveller

Started by Josquius, September 09, 2013, 07:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on September 09, 2013, 08:50:17 PM
Mother died when he was a kid. Estranged from uneducated father. First lover died. Two sons died young, including one while in the White House. Wife increasingly crazy since the beginning. Leadership always second-guessed and criticized until assassination right after having abolished slavery, won civil war, and saved the nation. :wacko:
Bitchin' beard, though. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

What the hell, I'll give a straight answer.

Thomas Edison, time traveller.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Phillip V

Most widely-acknowledged time traveler is Jesus of Nazareth.

Josquius

Quote from: Phillip V on September 09, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
Why Lincoln?

Freakishly tall, progressive, great at presidenting (it's a word now dammit), generally odd.
Sure, a lot is known about his earlier life which needs to be ignored but still, he is a strange chap.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

John McCain appears to be from an earlier era, as though he came of age in the 1950s.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2013, 09:30:56 PM
Freakishly tall, progressive, great at presidenting (it's a word now dammit), generally odd.
Sure, a lot is known about his earlier life which needs to be ignored but still, he is a strange chap.

:huh:

He was 6'4". That's not exactly "freakishly tall". George Washington was 6'2". And we've had a number of guys who were "great at presidenting" (damn, that was hard to type), and progressive.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2013, 08:51:16 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 09, 2013, 08:50:17 PM
Mother died when he was a kid. Estranged from uneducated father. First lover died. Two sons died young, including one while in the White House. Wife increasingly crazy since the beginning. Leadership always second-guessed and criticized until assassination right after having abolished slavery, won civil war, and saved the nation. :wacko:
Bitchin' beard, though. :showoff:

Not really. Maybe bitchin' means gross in this context?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Shakespeare. Not only was he a time traveler, he was a Klingon time traveler! :nerd:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Mohammed, or some of the early Caliphs.  Zoroaster. Zoroaster was preaching something radically different from the religion of his time, don't think there have been many people on his level.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Phillip V on September 09, 2013, 07:56:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 09, 2013, 07:46:03 PM
Hitler and Stalin. They seem to be the two individuals in history who, from lowly beginnings of no consequence bestrode the world stage. Neither having the manual on how to succeed in running their country for the benefit of their people, they did both seem to have a manual on how to achieve power and once in power focusing on one single issue, hitler "getting" those he hated, stalin staying in power. They seem to both to have turned into annoyed gamers who suddenly realized that this is real life and they couldn't quit and have a sandwich at some point after the time when they themselves began to affect history rather than merely harnessing historical forces to their own ends. Neither seems to have been exceptionally competent, just insanely lucky with timing and strategy.

Yeah, that second to last sentence is a bit convoluted... but it is a sentence.
Perhaps it was that time in history rather than them being time travelers.

I agree, it was that moment in history when ANYBODY could have become a world striding conqueror if he just harnessed the correct revolution.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.