News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Social Class in America: Three Ladder System

Started by Jacob, September 05, 2013, 12:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

A three ladder system of class in the US - and possibly globally: http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/the-3-ladder-system-of-social-class-in-the-u-s/

The guy certainly has his bias - and it shows - but I think the basic classification system is pretty sound at least in broad strokes. Seems to me that pretty much everyone at languish can be placed on it

The bias - and the analysis that follows - is probably more controversial. I expect Ide is the languishite most likely to be sympathetic towards it.

If you have the time to read it, I'm curious what you think - first about the class classifications, how appropriate do you think they are; and secondly about the analysis he offers?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I need to read this later, but I am surprised and impressed that a Michael O. Church blog post made it to Languish.  CdM would love some of his posts on the Gervais principle.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I have the luxury of choosing not to work. I also have the luxury of choosing not to eat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on September 05, 2013, 12:35:51 PM
I have the luxury of choosing not to work. I also have the luxury of choosing not to eat.

I'm sure your king will take care of you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

About the class system proposed - seems awfully arbitrary to me. Not sure what is added by having three seperate "ladders". The "elite" ladder is odd - those rich enough not to work really have little or nothing in common with working professionals, as the authour points out, so why are they being grouped together?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

This is pretty assburgers if you ask me. I understand the primal desire to give things classifications in order to better understand the world, but you can seriously go too far. Americans have no class.  :bowler:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 01:00:01 PM
This is pretty assburgers if you ask me. I understand the primal desire to give things classifications in order to better understand the world, but you can seriously go too far.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 12:44:47 PM
About the class system proposed - seems awfully arbitrary to me. Not sure what is added by having three seperate "ladders". The "elite" ladder is odd - those rich enough not to work really have little or nothing in common with working professionals, as the authour points out, so why are they being grouped together?

Because it's connected through values and what it takes to rise to the top of it (social status and connections vs ideas and creativity vs hard work). At least, that seems to be the argument that the writer sets forth.

But yeah, he does seem to go somewhat off the rails with his description of the E1 level (which is why I think why Ide-Tongzhi might approve :))

Jacob

This is pretty assburgers if you ask me. I understand the primal desire to give things classifications in order to better understand the world, but you can seriously go too far. Americans have no class.  :bowler:

Really? There are no class differences between "the Poors" and derSpiess and Caliga? The Koch brothers are not from a different class than Woody Allen or Charels Ramsey?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 01:27:07 PM

Really? There are no class differences between "the Poors" and derSpiess and Caliga? The Koch brothers are not from a different class than Woody Allen or Charels Ramsey?

Well high-skill labor and primary gentry sound awfully similar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 12:11:27 PM
The bias - and the analysis that follows - is probably more controversial. I expect Ide is the languishite most likely to be sympathetic towards it.

Why would Ide be the most sympathetic towards it?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 01:24:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 12:44:47 PM

Because it's connected through values and what it takes to rise to the top of it (social status and connections vs ideas and creativity vs hard work). At least, that seems to be the argument that the writer sets forth.

But yeah, he does seem to go somewhat off the rails with his description of the E1 level (which is why I think why Ide-Tongzhi might approve :))

Work at all three levels can, in some cases, require these values. I would not say lawyering (which he's placed in the elite category) is more about "social status" than (say) "ideas" and "hard work".

That's quite aside from his mouth-foaming about the bottomless, eternal evil of the E1s.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I am going to have to tell the E2s I know that they are doing it wrong. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 01:36:20 PM
Work at all three levels can, in some cases, require these values. I would not say lawyering (which he's placed in the elite category) is more about "social status" than (say) "ideas" and "hard work".

That's quite aside from his mouth-foaming about the bottomless, eternal evil of the E1s.  :D

Yeah, I thought his description of the lower Ls fit most lawyers - except for the pay range.