News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Montana judge defends 30-day sentence for rape

Started by merithyn, August 28, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Well Meri, wasn't the suggestion that she was a whore, 'had knowledge of sexual matters' or something like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2013, 04:13:10 PM
Well Meri, wasn't the suggestion that she was a whore, 'had knowledge of sexual matters' or something like that.

No, apparently I'm the only one claiming that. Well, me and the judge, but he gets a wash because he said he didn't actually mean it like that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2013, 04:11:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:00:37 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 03:53:36 PM
Wow. Just... wow.

A 54-year-old teacher has sex with his emotionally unstable 14-year-old student, who later commits suicide, and you all are perfectly fine with him getting a whole 30 days in jail for it.

That is just blatantly not true, and actively dishonest on a couple of levels.

1. Her later committing suicide is irrelevant to his sentencing, of course.

Uh, no.  If her suicide can be linked to having been abused by the teacher it is very, very relevant to sentencing.

Sure, but from what we know there is no such link.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:15:49 PM
Wow. Just... wow.

A 54-year-old teacher has sex with his emotionally unstable 14-year-old student, who later commits suicide, and you all are perfectly fine with him getting a whole 30 days in jail for it.

Uh, no.  If her suicide can be linked to having been abused by the teacher it is very, very relevant to sentencing.

QuoteThe victim's mother testified that the relationship was "a major factor" in her decision to take her own life, The Billings Gazette reported.

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 04:12:14 PMI'd have been happy with a few years behind bars instead of the poor little old man having to admit he fucked kids.

You have an odd definition of scot free.  Mr. Miracle this guy is not.

I wasn't really suggesting that you were suggesting we should kill him, but he's already subject to something close to a civic life sentence, if not the death penalty.

I would not be upset with two years, but judges have discretion and I don't see this, without knowing more (i.e., having read the sentencing order and the trial transcripts), as an abuse of that discretion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 04:13:56 PM

No, apparently I'm the only one claiming that. Well, me and the judge, but he gets a wash because he said he didn't actually mean it like that.

Your right, you should absolutely not listen to what he says about what he means. Surely you know better than he does what he thinks about things like this.

Why are so many people unwilling to ever modify their perceptions about people when it comes to things like this? Someone says something that can be interpreted badly, you get outraged, he actually states that isn't what he meant, even apologizes for any mis-understanding, clearly states that he does not think what you think he thinks in no uncertain terms....

and the response is to go back to his original statement and be outraged some more.

Why even ask for clarification, if you are so married to your outrage that him coming out and stating baldly that he does not think what you are ascribing to him won't actually make you budge one inch from your perception of his views?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:15:49 PM
Wow. Just... wow.

QuoteThe victim's mother testified that the relationship was "a major factor" in her decision to take her own life, The Billings Gazette reported.

Like I said, there isn't any evidence that there is any such link.

0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:19:58 PM

Your right, you should absolutely not listen to what he says about what he means. Surely you know better than he does what he thinks about things like this.

Why are so many people unwilling to ever modify their perceptions about people when it comes to things like this? Someone says something that can be interpreted badly, you get outraged, he actually states that isn't what he meant, even apologizes for any mis-understanding, clearly states that he does not think what you think he thinks in no uncertain terms....

and the response is to go back to his original statement and be outraged some more.

Why even ask for clarification, if you are so married to your outrage that him coming out and stating baldly that he does not think what you are ascribing to him won't actually make you budge one inch from your perception of his views?

It's not his views that are in question. It's his sentencing. And there's no question that he firmly believes that she was culpable in the relationship. He didn't say otherwise. He was only apologizing for the way that he said it, not for what he said.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

Now, she's dead,

By her own hand. He didn't kill her.

and he is off pretty much scott free.

That is simply not true at all. At least, there is no reason to believe it is true. He is a registered sex offender, almost certainly lost his job, and was sentenced in court. You might find the sentence inadequate, but to say he is "scot free" is simply false.

Trying to see how justice was served, and just not able to.

Justice is not served all the time. There are much more egregious examples out there than this one, that is for sure.

0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:20:25 PM

Like I said, there isn't any evidence that there is any such link.

:huh:

Since when isn't a statement in court evidence?

Auliea Hanlon testified earlier at the hearing that her daughter's relationship with Rambold was a "major factor" in her suicide, and she begged the judge to order Rambold to prison.

"Please put him behind bars," the woman said.

Chief Deputy County Attorney Rod Souza had asked the judge to order Rambold to serve 20 years in prison, with 10 years suspended.

Souza said Rambold targeted a troubled young girl and violated his position of trust as a teacher by engaging in a sexual relationship with a student.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/former-senior-high-teacher-gets-days-for-rape-of-student/article_b1f84190-ef23-5868-8799-b779c0421dc1.html#ixzz2dIjVBLJS

frunk

Quote from: The Brain on August 28, 2013, 04:21:55 PM
Testimony isn't evidence? Non-rhetorical.

No no, rhetorical testimony is evidence!

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 04:23:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:19:58 PM

It's not his views that are in question. It's his sentencing. And there's no question that he firmly believes that she was culpable in the relationship. He didn't say otherwise. He was only apologizing for the way that he said it, not for what he said.

So him stating that it was not relevant to the sentencing doesn't actually matter in the issue of "his sentencing".

Gotcha. Rage on.

0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 04:23:42 PM

By her own hand. He didn't kill her.

I think this is where we differ the most. I believe - as does her mother - that this man's relationship with this girl was a huge factor in her deciding that she'd rather be dead that alive. His actions were a cause in her death.

Ideologue

It's impermissible evidence.  It's hearsay.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)