News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peak Water in the US South?

Started by Jacob, August 21, 2013, 12:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

I read somewhere that LA has a program in place where they pay you to strip your lawn. I think that somebody put the link here.

MadBurgerMaker

QuoteYeah...WTF?  Summer is my break from mowing people :contract:

I want to get some of that...I think it's rye grass.  The stuff that is dormant over the summer, but really greens up over the winter.  Fuck you HoA!

(Mine isn't actually all that bad.  They don't really bother too much unless it gets really really nasty, which my yard never has, but even then, I think my neighbor was saying they just send you tips on xeriscaping and things like that at first.  the one in my mom's neighborhood is one of those stereotypical intrusive asshole type HoAs though.  They're absolutely ridiculous about the yards over the summer.)

Ed Anger

I love riding my mower around. It gives me an hour's break from the mindcrushing family.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

HOAs sound like a real pain; I'm glad I don't have to deal with one. I'm surprised they are as ubiquitous as they seem to be in the US.

MadBurgerMaker

A riding mower would be hilarious overkill for my yard.  I could get a few laps in the front, but the house sits so far back and takes up so much of the lot, I'd have a bitch of a time driving it around in the back, dodging trees, a/c units, the slab, and the patio cover.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2013, 09:38:09 AM
HOAs sound like a real pain; I'm glad I don't have to deal with one. I'm surprised they are as ubiquitous as they seem to be in the US.

I can't recall my parents ever talking about one. My grandmother does have one with her condo though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on August 21, 2013, 12:58:15 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2013, 12:36:46 AM
... okay, the article says "US West" not South.

:lol:  Was wondering.  Though the last several years have been drought-prone, this past year has been one of the wettest for Georgia that I can recall.

That notwithstanding, Florida is rattling sabers about restarting the Water Wars of the early 2000s with Georgia.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2013, 09:23:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 09:21:27 AM
I think it'd be nice if the southwest dropped the manicured lawns bit and generally went bank to just desert landscapes. Grass looks ridiculous and is super expensive to maintain out there.

No shit.  BUt the pressure to maintain one is immense when everybody else on the block has one <_<

There's also practical critter issues with that as well;  keeping it as a desert landscape invites greater potential for snakes, scorpions and tarantulas.  They don't nest in grassy and manicured lawns;  they like their sand and rocks.

So fuck that shit.  I lived out there, my lawn would look like the fucking Rose Bowl before kickoff.

lustindarkness

Have not read the article, but there has been many similar articles. And while the situation is worse in the southwest, the southeast has similar problems. TN, AL, GA fight over the same river for example.

My solution would be to get rid of the people, that is the problem right? :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2013, 10:06:57 AM
I think it'd be nice if the southwest dropped the manicured lawns bit and generally went bank to just desert landscapes. Grass looks ridiculous and is super expensive to maintain out there.

No shit.  BUt the pressure to maintain one is immense when everybody else on the block has one <_<

There's also practical critter issues with that as well;  keeping it as a desert landscape invites greater potential for snakes, scorpions and tarantulas.  They don't nest in grassy and manicured lawns;  they like their sand and rocks.

So fuck that shit.  I lived out there, my lawn would look like the fucking Rose Bowl before kickoff.

My mother has had her desert landscape for nearly 13 years now. So far no incidents.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Seems the best thing then is to live in places that are naturally fit for human habitation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 21, 2013, 10:23:22 AM
Seems the best thing then is to live in places that are naturally fit for human habitation.

So you want a die back?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2013, 09:38:09 AM

As I've said before, it's the ultimate expression of the American Way, which is replacing public benevolence with private tyranny.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Can scorpions, snakes, and tarantulas nest in a paved lot?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on August 21, 2013, 10:53:24 AM

Can scorpions, snakes, and tarantulas nest in a paved lot?

That's ideally what I want. A lawn of concrete. :cool: