Main Menu

Crafter versus Artist

Started by merithyn, August 19, 2013, 07:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 09:51:12 AM
Is that the end of the thread then? :unsure:

Why? :huh:

I was only explaining how the term is often used, not that that's how it should be used.

I see many quilts that are works of art. Are they crafters or artists? I have seen amazing carved wood boxes that are without a doubt artistic, but is the creator a crafter?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

There doesn't seem like much to discuss if crafter is a term that people aren't using. -_-

I'd actually thought about some of the impressive things that I've seen knitted but then was like, I don't really have a term that I use for a person that would make like that and would be open to whatever one what to call one's self.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 10:03:00 AM
There doesn't seem like much to discuss if crafter is a term that people aren't using. -_-

I DO  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 19, 2013, 10:07:28 AM

I DO  :mad:

OK, crazy old cat lady.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

:mellow:

I just got done saying that it's a term that's often used to describe people do sew, knit, etc. I don't understand what you're saying.

I'd actually thought about some of the impressive things that I've seen knitted but then was like, I don't really have a term that I use for a person that would make like that and would be open to whatever one what to call one's self.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Is someone who knits an artist, or a crafter? At what point does one cross over from one to the other?

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 19, 2013, 10:40:25 AM
:mellow:

I just got done saying that it's a term that's often used to describe people do sew, knit, etc. I don't understand what you're saying.

I meant people here.:P

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Is someone who knits an artist, or a crafter? At what point does one cross over from one to the other?

I guess it depends on the specifics of the object. If a tacky sweater, not sure that I'd support the label of either. :D

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

An artist creates original work, a crafty sort of person executes more or less the same item.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah a crafter has to be able to reproduce his/her product with consistency. Jackson Pollack not so much.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on August 19, 2013, 07:31:48 AM
Just to shake things up a little, here's a different sort of topic.

How do you differentiate an artist from a crafter? How do you define each of them, and what's the difference between them?

You don't, in my view the best of 'each' has plenty of the other informing it (or in forming it).
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2013, 11:19:43 AM
Yeah a crafter has to be able to reproduce his/her product with consistency. Jackson Pollack not so much.

So were Warhol and Duchamp crafters?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 11:04:41 AM
How about "artisan"?

It has become so overused it is in danger of being meaningless. 

dps

Well, perhaps we can bring in the subject of intent.  Does someone knit a sweater with the intent that it be worn, or with the intent that it be displayed as a work of art?

merithyn

Quote from: dps on August 19, 2013, 12:02:15 PM

Well, perhaps we can bring in the subject of intent.  Does someone knit a sweater with the intent that it be worn, or with the intent that it be displayed as a work of art?

What if it's intended to be worn as a work of art?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive