News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Messiah too good a name for baby

Started by katmai, August 11, 2013, 08:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

QuoteNEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on August 11, 2013, 08:08:30 PM
"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

WTF?  Strange a guy dictating theology from the bench would be so mind bogglingly ignorant of the Bible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2013, 09:35:17 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 11, 2013, 08:08:30 PM

WTF?  Strange a guy dictating theology from the bench would be so mind bogglingly ignorant of the Bible.

The guy wasn't a guy.

Valmy

Well then she should have remembered 1 Timothy 2:11 and not gone on preaching  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

The name "Jesus" however is a dime a dozen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

I can't see this one being upheld on appeal.

Ideologue

QuoteNEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

See, the person I feel bad for is the law grad who works for a year for this woman and then winds up in doc review, while the magistrate who clearly violated at least two First Amendment principles in a way only a complete retard could do will be just fine, get her pension, and so on.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2013, 12:16:40 AM
See, the person I feel bad for is the law grad who works for a year for this woman and then winds up in doc review, while the magistrate who clearly violated at least two First Amendment principles in a way only a complete retard could do will be just fine, get her pension, and so on.

Everybody has to wait their turn, rookie.

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2013, 12:16:40 AM

Pretty sure this violates the judicial canons as well.  So this judge may be up for a reprimand.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Good, it's about time someone got a handel on the overuse of this name.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

I bet he'll be a very naughty boy.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on August 12, 2013, 07:37:48 AM
I bet he'll be a very naught boy.

Yeah it is like naming a daughter 'chastity'.

I mean you are just asking for it.

Viking

From a babynames website, synonyms to Messiah include

Anjita, Carsten, Chandnin, Chrys, Crysta, Karsten, Khristos, Krist, Kristian, Kristin, Kristr, Krystan and Samoel.

There are lots of Karstens, Kristians and Kristins around here.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.