News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Seriously, This Is As Bad As The Nazis.

Started by mongers, August 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Stephen Fry calls for Olympics ban over Russia's anti-gay laws

Broadcaster Stephen Fry has urged David Cameron to support moves to strip Russia of the 2014 Winter Olympics because of its new anti-gay laws.

In an open letter to the PM, the International Olympic Committee and London 2012's Lord Coe, he said Russia was "making scapegoats of gay people".

The government said it was working closely with organisers to ensure the Games were free from discrimination.

In Russia, it is illegal to give under-18s information about homosexuality.

'Honest commitment'

In Mr Fry's letter, which was published on his website, he compared the situation to the decision to hold the 1936 games in Nazi Germany.

He urged International Olympics Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge and his fellow committee members to "take a firm stance on behalf of the shared humanity it is supposed to represent".

"It is simply not enough to say that gay Olympians may or may not be safe in their village. An absolute ban on the Russian Winter Olympics of 2014 is simply essential," he wrote.

"Stage them elsewhere in Utah, Lillehammer, anywhere you like. At all costs (Russian President Vladimir) Putin cannot be seen to have the approval of the civilised world."

He said the London 2012 Games "were one of the most glorious moments of my life and the life of my country" and a Russian Winter Olympics "would stain the movement forever and wipe away any of that glory".

:hmm:

Rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23603870
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Yeah having Jesse Owens crush the Aryans in their Fortress of Evil was a retarded move.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I don't see anything wrong here but your thread title.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 01:56:19 PM

What's wrong with the thread title?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 01:56:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 01:56:19 PM

What's wrong with the thread title?

I haven't seen exactly what Fry said but drawing a comparison to the Nazi games of 1936 doesn't mean that anyone/thing "is as bad as the Nazis."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Viking

this is the olympics with the figure skating in it?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Actually, Jake, now having read that Fry posted, I'd say it is a gross mischaracterization of his remarks.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2013, 02:08:06 PM

Yes, hosted by the country famous for its male ballet dancers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2013, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2013, 02:08:06 PM

Yes, hosted by the country famous for its male ballet dancers.

hmm.. maybe they think dressing up in glitter is masculine?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 02:08:11 PM
Actually, Jake, now having read that Fry posted, I'd say it is a gross mischaracterization of his remarks.

It's an extrapolation, but not really that far out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2013, 02:23:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 02:08:11 PM

It's an extrapolation, but not really that far out.

The problem is that it is an easy rhetorical way to cheapen/negate his remarks. I think that's unfair as I think his main message is a powerful one - though I don't actually care about the Olympics so don't really care if they are tarnished.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 02:24:54 PM
though I don't actually care about the Olympics so don't really care if they are tarnished.

They're already tarnished.  They have curling.

Zanza

Sounds like both a reasonable comparison (persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany maybe about 1934, got worse after that, and Russia right now seems to be comparable) and a reasonable petition to the politicians. Russia does indeed not seem fit to house what should be festival of humanities diversity, not of discrimination.

DGuller

Why is this time different?  Homosexuality itself was actually illegal in Soviet Union, and yet they hosted Olympics in 1980.