The Fort Hood Shooter Will Be Able to Cross-Examine the Soldiers Whom He Shot

Started by jimmy olsen, August 05, 2013, 08:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2013, 12:05:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
How so? We'd have been wimptastic state fawning over the queen.

I don't recall a lot of fawning going on in my life... :hmm:

and alt-history where 1776 fails is interesting.  On one hand it begs the question to what extent the US rebellion spurred liberalism in the rest of the colonies (no question it did), but it also begs the question to what extent being a part of the empire would have ended slavery without a war...
I think you have to go back a bit further than that to be successful.

Prince Fredrick doesn't get himself killed playing Cricket in '51 and has a Whig government rather than the Tory one George III propped up. They follow through with Pitt's plan and give the Colonies representation in parliament in the late '60s.

Peace continues until 1778 when the War of Bavarian succession snowballs into a general war.

Austria, Spain, France, Ottomans, Poland vs. Bavaria, Prussia, Russia, Great Britain, Netherlands, Saxony.

Result - Poland ceases to exist twenty years earlier and the border of British North America is moved from the Mississippi to the Rio Grande-Continental Divide. Cuba & the Philipines may also be annexed by the Brits. France goes into crushing debt and falls into REVOLUTION within 10-15 years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2013, 12:39:34 AM

and alt-history where 1776 fails is interesting.  On one hand it begs the question to what extent the US rebellion spurred liberalism in the rest of the colonies (no question it did), but it also begs the question to what extent being a part of the empire would have ended slavery without a war...
I think you have to go back a bit further than that to be successful.

Prince Fredrick doesn't get himself killed playing Cricket in '51 and has a Whig government rather than the Tory one George III propped up. They follow through with Pitt's plan and give the Colonies representation in parliament in the late '60s.

Peace continues until 1778 when the War of Bavarian succession snowballs into a general war.

Austria, Spain, France, Ottomans, Poland vs. Bavaria, Prussia, Russia, Great Britain, Netherlands, Saxony.

Result - Poland ceases to exist twenty years earlier and the border of British North America is moved from the Mississippi to the Rio Grande-Continental Divide. Cuba & the Philipines may also be annexed by the Brits. France goes into crushing debt and falls into REVOLUTION within 10-15 years.

Forgive me Oh Lord for ever discussing alt-history seriously. :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Ok, what do you disagree with there?

The war part I presume?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

I think you were ok until you got into the specifics of the War of Bavarian Succession, which was unnecessarily speculative.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 06, 2013, 01:11:29 AM
I think you were ok until you got into the specifics of the War of Bavarian Succession, which was unnecessarily speculative.
Yeah, I almost just left it at "War of Bavarian succession snowballs into a general war", but I just felt that I wouldn't be living up to expectations if I did so. We all have our roles to play. -_-

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2013, 10:58:11 PM
Even in liberal paradise Canada we have a provisions for accused people to NOT cross-examine the people they victimized...

It's a constitutional thing, we have the right confront and refute witnesses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Siege

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2013, 10:56:11 PM
No shit.  They fucked up pretty bad by bringing this guy in alive.

That's what happens when you have policewomen.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2013, 12:45:29 AM

That a man who plays cricket would be given multiple opportunities to lead the government of a major power.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Here ya go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Georges

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2013, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2013, 12:45:29 AM
That a man who plays cricket would be given multiple opportunities to lead the government of a major power.
But men who played cricket ruled the world for over a century.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

Improper use of "begging the question," counselor.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 06, 2013, 07:20:03 PM

Here ya go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Georges

You could have at least used a good book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail_%28novel%29
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?