News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Yiddish and Yiddish Accents

Started by Queequeg, August 02, 2013, 01:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

To this day, I've never heard one in person in my life. That I know of.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 03, 2013, 03:14:14 PM
To this day, I've never heard one in person in my life. That I know of.

You're not deaf and never mentioned it, are you? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Yiddish accents are not cool. To my subcouncious they mean either Evil-lazy-haredim-not-serving-in-the-military or evil-Russian-mafia-that-brought-hard-drugs-to-Israel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Well, now that I think about it, Yiddish accent also means holocaust to my subcouncius mind. Also means black-and-white documentaries, etc.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

But when he was dying from lung cancer, in his delirium, he somehow reverted back to only speaking Yiddish to everyone gathered by his death-bed for his last few days alive.  Which I think really spooked them, least of all because he was virtually unintelligible to them.  Even spooked my grandmother a bit, since he never used Yiddish with her, and since she came from a better-off family than his, of furniture-makers in Worcester Mass., not growing up around very much Yiddish.
This is exactly the kind of stuff I was interested in, thanks for sharing CM.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Siege on August 04, 2013, 10:50:39 AM
Yiddish accents are not cool. To my subcouncious they mean either Evil-lazy-haredim-not-serving-in-the-military or evil-Russian-mafia-that-brought-hard-drugs-to-Israel.
Yiddish speakers were foundation of Israel, and Yiddish was a cultured language for hundreds of years when Hebrew was just hyper-esoteric Latin.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Actually, that's not accurate.  Besides the Holy Scripture and the Talmud there's hardly any literature in Hebrew before 1947, and the modern variety takes crib notes from Punic and Arabic.

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on August 04, 2013, 05:24:21 PM
Actually, that's not accurate.  Besides the Holy Scripture and the Talmud there's hardly any literature in Hebrew before 1947, and the modern variety takes crib notes from Punic and Arabic.

There were some Hebrew poets in Medieval Spain, most notably Judah Ha-Levi.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Quote from: Savonarola on August 04, 2013, 08:38:55 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 04, 2013, 05:24:21 PM

There were some Hebrew poets in Medieval Spain, most notably Judah Ha-Levi.

Comedian?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.