News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'Little Wars' 100 Years On.

Started by mongers, August 02, 2013, 07:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

This might interest and repel others here for the wrong reasons.

It is a century since HG Wells published the first proper set of rules for hobby war games. There's a hardcore of gamers who are still playing by his code.

Pine tips are stuck in the grass to represent trees. Roads are laid out with trails of compost.

This is the Battle of Gettysburg, with Union soldiers on one side and Confederates on the other. But the soldiers of this new Gettysburg are 54mm (2in) tall and mostly made of plastic.

The battle is taking place between a group of enthusiasts in a garden at Sandhurst military academy under the rules of Little Wars, devised by HG Wells in 1913.

War was then looming in Europe and Little Wars was both an expression of Wells's passion for toy soldiers and to his fears over the coming slaughter. The science fiction author even believed that war games could change attitudes.

"You only have to play at Little Wars three or four times to realise just what a blundering thing Great War must be," wrote Wells.

Rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22777029
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I'd replace the cavalry with my daughters My little ponies, but they'd be eaten by my son's dinosaurs. Rawr.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 02, 2013, 08:08:09 PM
I'd replace the cavalry with my daughters My little ponies, but they'd be eaten by my son's dinosaurs. Rawr.

Sounds like one of Timmay's alt-histories.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

There is an awesome shop full of miniatures next to Buckingham Palace at the guard barracks. They sell only that. South side of the park I think.

Edit: Google-fu says it's this one.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Toy soldiers?  Miniature battleships are better.

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 02, 2013, 08:13:10 PM
There is an awesome shop full of miniatures next to Buckingham Palace at the guard barracks. They sell only that. South side of the park I think.

Edit: Google-fu says it's this one.

Cool.

Baluch Light Infantry Indian Officer and 4 Sepoys

grumbler

Why anyone would still use Little Wars as a rules set baffles me.  It is a great little book (available at Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3691/3691-h/3691-h.htm) but a terrible set of "rules."  Pretty much any alternative would be better.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on August 02, 2013, 09:27:23 PM
Cool.

Baluch Light Infantry Indian Officer and 4 Sepoys

"Cool" 'till you look at the prices!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.