Japanese Deputy PM: We should learn from Hitler regarding consitutional changes

Started by Syt, August 01, 2013, 06:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 01, 2013, 07:55:51 AM
Edit: Besides, the Japanese never committed any misconduct in WW2. It says it like, right there. I've got more of these.

Dude, even the Nazis were horrified at the atrocities the Japs did in Nanking.

When one of the, if not the, most despicable organizations in modern history disapproves of your methods of killing civilians en masse, it's always a bad sign.

Lettow77

If it wasn't clear, I absolutely agree the Japanese committed horrible atrocities at Nanking. (And indeed throughout the pacific theatre, which was typified by atrocities being committed by those sides.) I got a real kick out of the party line from the Japanese military museum, is all.

CHINESE SOLDIERS DRESSED IN CIVILIAN CLOTHES WERE SEVERELY PROSECUTED
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

I have to admit that it was clear to me that you were amused by the way Japan was trying to frame it. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

@DGuller: Well, there were no real checks for the position of president, who was seen as a bit of an Ersatz-Kaiser and could rule with decrees in cases of emergency (which was basically a perpetual state for the last three years of the Weimar Republic) and could dissolve parliament and name the chancellor. He was also popularly elected and thus had a strong mandate. When you have an authoritarian monarchist in this position in a young republic, you have a problem...

The chancellor (=prime minister) on the other hand could be voted out of office with a "destructive" vote of confidence, meaning the parties that voted against him didn't have to agree on a successor. That created a lot of instability in the early years of Weimar as it was much easier to remove a government than to form a new one. In 1932, the Nazis and the Commies together had more than 50% of the vote and could just vote every non-radical out of office together...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2013, 10:41:24 AM
I have to admit that it was clear to me that you were amused by the way Japan was trying to frame it. :D

Of course.  Second only to his romanticism of the valiant righteousness of the CSA.

However, it is a known historical fact that the United States Marine Corps never committed a single atrocity in the Pacific Theater that they are aware of.

DGuller

I think it was clear to everyone.  Well, almost everyone.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 01, 2013, 09:03:59 AM
Meh.
The other nations in East Asia do tend to have a real stick up their arse about Japan and live in the past.

What do you think about Japanese attitudes towards WWII?

Drakken

Since he is a weeabo it's never really clear whether he is sanely sarcastic or kowtowing to WWII banzai charge dickheads because they are Japanese.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on August 01, 2013, 02:47:15 PM

Since he is a weeabo it's never really clear whether he is sanely sarcastic or kowtowing to WWII banzai charge dickheads because they are Japanese.

I think "I've got more of these." was a clear indication.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2013, 10:18:57 AM
Even if the idea wasn't inane by itself, it would just be factually wrong to cite it as an example.

yeah doing things quiet was not exactly a Nazi strong point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson