News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hype your favorite book series

Started by merithyn, July 12, 2013, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 18, 2013, 07:04:40 AM
Thieves World and the MYTH books by Robert Aspriin.

I had all but forgotten that one. Thanks .
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Vricklund

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 12, 2013, 01:25:02 PM
Charles Willeford, the "Hoke Moseley" series of dark hilarity crime novels (Miami Blues on to the author's death).  Just awesome, Hoke being a detective with false teeth living in a seedy Miami Beach hotel with huge alimony payments when the action starts (contemporaneously, in the early 80s).  Willeford wrote better books, but this is his only series.  I think the Languish crowd would like it quite a bit.
Just finished reading Miami blues - Not bad but the ending was a little abrupt? What I can't figure out, and what makes me a little uneasy, is the musty racial views - I don't get the feeling that it's written like that on purpose but rather that it's the authors own views shining through.

Other than that it should suit the languish crowd just fine - it even features anal.

Scipio

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2013, 03:46:49 PM
A lot of good ones have been mentioned already. To add a few:

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander is an excellent young adult fantasy series based on Welsh mythology.

Captain Alatriste by Arturo Pérez-Reverte is pretty damn enjoyable as well. Follow the exploits of a hardened yet somewhat romantic adventurer and soldier as the Golden Age of Spain starts to lose some of its lustre. It's not nautical at all, but it still scratches a bit of the same itch as the Aubrey-Maturin books, at least for me.

In spite of the less than completely gushing review I gave them in the books thread, I did really enjoy Ian Hamilton's Ava Lee series - exotic locales, shady individuals, and all sorts of adventure as the diminutive forensic accountant tracks down missing millions and returns them to their rightful owners (minus a percentage, of course).

I love Captain Alatriste, but it's so depressing.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Don't know if I can hype the series because I've just read the first book, but David Pearce's Red Riding 1974 was brilliant.

Started 1977 now. Go read.

QuoteI'm working my way through the Barchester Chronicles (only read the first two so far). I've no idea why I neglected Trollope for so long or why he is so underrated. He combines the gentle wit of Austen with the gossipy insights of Thackeray.
Yeah, I'd ignored him for a long time. I think his reputation took a real hit, so he's not one of the 'great' Victorian writers you have to read. Also he does have some peculiar interests that can be a bit odd to modern readers. The first two Barchester books are the only Trollope novels I've read that don't include at least 1-2 chapters about fox hunting (if not an entire sub-plot) and at least a couple of chapters mainly set in Parliament :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: ulmont on July 18, 2013, 10:07:03 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 18, 2013, 07:04:40 AM
the MYTH books by Robert Aspriin.

Those really went to hell after 1993 though.
They were still OK.  What was annoying and still is is that they started printing them in large format paperbacks for 15 bucks a pop. 
PDH!