Black boxes, new cars, you don't own what yours record

Started by 11B4V, July 23, 2013, 01:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2013, 03:36:57 PM
*sigh*

I get frustrated trying to discuss the intricacies of criminal law amongst people who have zero experience in it.

AKA you're a douche. :(

QuoteThere is an administrative procedure to get your car back from impound.  You can apply for judicial review of the seizure.  Police can only hold it for so long before they need judicial authorization.  You can sue the police if they haven't followed proper procedure.

Oh those simple, cheap things that everyone knows how to do...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

You're not supposed to know how to do it. That would negate the need for the priesthood.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2013, 08:33:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2013, 03:36:57 PM
*sigh*

I get frustrated trying to discuss the intricacies of criminal law amongst people who have zero experience in it.

AKA you're a douche. :(

QuoteThere is an administrative procedure to get your car back from impound.  You can apply for judicial review of the seizure.  Police can only hold it for so long before they need judicial authorization.  You can sue the police if they haven't followed proper procedure.

Oh those simple, cheap things that everyone knows how to do...

Actually applying to get your car back from impound is routinely done without lawyers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I remember when I had to get my car back that had been impounded for a traffic violation (parking too close to a fire hydrant).  It was like going to the post office from hell as routinely all the employees were on break and you had to just stand in line waiting.  Wasn't really an easy place to get to without one's vehicle. Saddest was when there was a bride in her wedding dress trying to get her car back. :(

Thankfully, I was unemployed at the time, so I had all the time in the world to wait for my car.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

My favorite visiting the impound story was once I was meeting some friends at a restaurant but I had been on a date with a woman earlier that day.  She had parked in a garage close to the restaurant so I parked in front of the restaurant, walked her to her car, walked back and met my friends and we had dinner.  I came out to get my car but it had been towed to the impound because the parking was for customers only and the second they saw me walk off to the garage they had swooped in and towed my car, the fact that I was in fact a customer did no good at all. 

The best part was that because I moved around alot back then the title on my car had a different address than that on my driver's license they wouldn't release my car to me until I got that changed.  What a freaking super big pain the ass all that was. 

Needless to say I am never eating at that place again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."