Main Menu

Syrians blow up Crac des Chevaliers

Started by Valmy, July 21, 2013, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on July 21, 2013, 09:26:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2013, 08:39:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2013, 08:22:55 PM
Just do like the Koreans did with all the stuff the Japanese razed, rebuild it all with the traditional construction techniques.
Isn't that... stupid?
Even worse is the more common way in Japan/Korea: rebuild it with concrete.
moldy's going to ban you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2013, 08:39:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2013, 08:22:55 PM
Just do like the Koreans did with all the stuff the Japanese razed, rebuild it all with the traditional construction techniques.
Isn't that... stupid?

Consider the source.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on July 21, 2013, 08:21:53 PM
*sigh* Use nukes on the Middle-East already!

G.

I'm a bit unclear on how that would protect the castle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on July 21, 2013, 08:21:53 PM
*sigh* Use nukes on the Middle-East already!

G.
sure, that will teach them not to destroy valuable architectural monuments!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on July 22, 2013, 01:20:27 AM
sure, that will teach them not to destroy valuable architectural monuments!

What it would do is stop this incessant "Allah Akhbar" they regurgitate in every sentence.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Minsky Moment

Saw an article today about various European countries considering naming Hezbollah a terrorist organization.
Which was quite surprising as I couldn't fathom how any rational country could have not have named them long ago.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2013, 11:51:59 AM
Saw an article today about various European countries considering naming Hezbollah a terrorist organization.
Which was quite surprising as I couldn't fathom how any rational country could have not have named them long ago.

It runs a whole series of social services in Lebannon.  It's terrorist activities are only a part of what they do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

If you want to do business in Lebanon.... best not accuse the local government of being evil.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on July 22, 2013, 11:58:51 AM
If you want to do business in Lebanon.... best not accuse the local government of being evil.

A lot of the successful businesses in Lebanon are run by people who hate Hezbollah.
The US manages to do about a billion a year in trade despite proscription.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

It's no simple thing placing groups along the terrorist/freedom fighter line.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2013, 12:30:31 PM

It can be difficult which is why it is helpful when you have a organization like Hezbollah that is so far on the terrorist side and so far away from the freedom fighter line that the decision is easy.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2013, 12:32:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2013, 12:30:31 PM
It can be difficult which is why it is helpful when you have a organization like Hezbollah that is so far on the terrorist side and so far away from the freedom fighter line that the decision is easy.
But even then, the EU couldn't make that determination for Hezbollah, and declared that only the military wing were terrorists.  It seems that it's more difficult than you're letting on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2013, 01:23:21 PM
But even then, the EU couldn't make that determination for Hezbollah, and declared that only the military wing were terrorists.  It seems that it's more difficult than you're letting on.

I disagree.
The "wings" exist solely to encourage these kinds of false distinctions.  Just because the EU says that the right hand and the left hand are not attached to the same body doesn't make it so.
--Joan Robinson