2 (4.3%)
> 6001
0 (0%)
I have no clue
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2013, 07:00:54 PM
Nope. In the UK the standard is that you sign an 18-month plus contract and get the phone for free.

I thought that maybe it was the other way round and North Americans had short, easily changed contracts so had to pay more but we got cheaper, long-term deals that lock us in.

Maybe there's just more competition in mobiles in the UK/Europe?

How do you assign licenses in the UK?  In the US we have the auction model, where companies bid on spectrum in a region.  A number of countries use the "Beauty Pageant" model where the company that promises the best coverage gets the license for the entire country (and later can be fined if they don't meet it.)  The auction model is more expensive since there's a enormous up front cost.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Warspite on July 18, 2013, 01:38:42 PM
I have chosen to rent a room in a dilapidated apartment in a great location (and with very good flatmates), so my total monthly bills total £720 for everything.

Sounds great, and you'll have enough left over to actually enjoy what London offers  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 18, 2013, 05:19:44 PM
Quote from: Warspite on July 18, 2013, 01:38:42 PM
I have chosen to rent a room in a dilapidated apartment in a great location (and with very good flatmates), so my total monthly bills total £720 for everything.

Sounds great, and you'll have enough left over to actually enjoy what London offers  :cool:

What there's more to it than just the Swedish pub ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Poor old Delirium  :(

Teetotal for medical reasons he gaily flies over from Sweden for the weekend and is then forced to spend 36 hours in London's Swedish pub with a band of drunken idiots  <_<

He must have been a real bastard in a former life to have deserved that  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on July 18, 2013, 04:05:58 PM
How do you assign licenses in the UK? 
Auction for a 20 year license (the 3G one brought in around £20 billion for the Treasury) half has to be up-front the rest can be paid over the twenty years.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Rent + monthly utility bills + car expenses total to about $3000.

Ed Anger

So, did I win this dick-waving contest?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 18, 2013, 05:29:10 PM

Teetotal for medical reasons he gaily flies over from Sweden for the weekend and is then forced to spend 36 hours in London's Swedish pub with a band of drunken idiots  <_<

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 18, 2013, 05:29:10 PM

Wait didn't he also show up the time I was around with Berk and Eochaid or did that just round at the Swedish pub just happen for the sake of memories?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

/I was young and drunk so have essentially no memory. Apart from the story about black people in England who were essentially bred away.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2013, 11:16:23 PM
/I was young and drunk so have essentially no memory. Apart from the story about black people in England who were essentially bred away.
When I met you there, they were reminiscing about last time, so you haven't forgotten, no.

It may have been me talking about how there was a significant black population in London in the 17th Century, but they intermingled so successfully, Londoners are now all a little bit black.

I think I heard that from Eddie Izzard's Mongrel Nation TV series.