News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tipping is an abomination!

Started by Syt, July 10, 2013, 12:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 10:50:24 AM
The general rule of thumb is to tip on what your bill would be if you paid for everything that you got. So, if the manager gives you a free appetizer, you tip as if you'd paid for it. Same with free kids meals.

Right.  Plus a little more on top of that in this case.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

So I was at a bar for a hot second after work yesterday during happy hour. As I handed over my cash (6 bucks for my blue moon), I was told that tip was already included.  When I went to leave I saw that they had a sign that happy hour beers were 5 bucks each. What's this tip included bullshit on one beer? /here's a tip, I generally would have left two dollars if left to my own devices. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I did the same thing right after work and was planning to get just one beer-- a Belgian bistro downtown had a keep-the-glass event for a tapping of Blanche de Chambly.  Found out that I was not only getting the free glass, but the distributor paid for the first 4 people at the tapping so my beer was free as well.  Would've felt weird to walk out without paying anything (still would've tipped, of course) so I ordered another since I had a few extra minutes to spare.  My tab came out to a whopping $6 so I left a ten dollar bill.  Still feel like I got away cheap :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2013, 11:58:02 AM
My tab came out to a whopping $6 so I left a ten dollar bill.  Still feel like I got away cheap :)

I would always do that for the first beer--$10 for a $6 beer.  That way, the barkeep would remember you immediately, no waiting the next time with the rest of the throng.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2013, 11:58:02 AM
I did the same thing right after work and was planning to get just one beer-- a Belgian bistro downtown had a keep-the-glass event for a tapping of Blanche de Chambly.  Found out that I was not only getting the free glass, but the distributor paid for the first 4 people at the tapping so my beer was free as well.  Would've felt weird to walk out without paying anything (still would've tipped, of course) so I ordered another since I had a few extra minutes to spare.  My tab came out to a whopping $6 so I left a ten dollar bill.  Still feel like I got away cheap :)

Yeah, its' good practice to tip on the value of the free stuff you're given IMO :cheers:

What'd you think of the Blanche de Chambly?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 07:45:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2013, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2013, 12:58:18 PM
I didn't read all that. But I agree. Add $2 to my meal, pay the watiress well, and get that over with.

Even when I am eating at a place where the tip is included I still give my server a tip they can keep for themselves.

Sure, but over here it would be between 5 and 10 percent depending on price of the meal and quality of service.

20% baby! :yeah:

You're not all bad, garbo.  Though I do like to tip at least $5 if I'm eating by myself or if 20% would not be equal to $5, which I consider a minimum table fee.

Well waitstaff gotta eat too. Also, generally in New York when alone 20% is at least 5 bucks.

$5 in SC > $5 in NYC, tho.  I'd probably have to adjust it upward for your debased currency.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2013, 01:55:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 07:45:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2013, 01:32:15 PM
I didn't read all that. But I agree. Add $2 to my meal, pay the watiress well, and get that over with.

Even when I am eating at a place where the tip is included I still give my server a tip they can keep for themselves.

Sure, but over here it would be between 5 and 10 percent depending on price of the meal and quality of service.

20% baby! :yeah:

You're not all bad, garbo.  Though I do like to tip at least $5 if I'm eating by myself or if 20% would not be equal to $5, which I consider a minimum table fee.

Well waitstaff gotta eat too. Also, generally in New York when alone 20% is at least 5 bucks.

$5 in SC > $5 in NYC, tho.  I'd probably have to adjust it upward for your debased currency.

Meals are generally also more than 25, so 20% is greater than 5. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

What's with the recent rash of quote spamming.  :ultra:

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 07:47:35 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 07:43:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 07:34:49 PM

$2, eh?  I bet you're beloved at your local eateries.

Dude. Read it again. He doesn't say he tips $2. He said raise the price of the meal $2 AND pay the waitress a living wage.

Really?  I wasn't aware that restaurants, like the Treasury, were permitted to print money.  That changes everything.

I'd say you need about $3-5 a head for a living wage, depending upon volume and efficiency.

That said, I was mainly funning, Joe.  No offense meant, I hope none taken.

No offence. But yeah, you missed the point ;) But yeah, I didn't do an actuarial study, I pulled that two bucks out of the hat, and was thinking not for a big dinner in a nice restauant, but say on an average $10-12 lunch at a roadhouse type place.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011