News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The future of the work force

Started by CountDeMoney, July 16, 2013, 05:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Strangely enough I've been doing something sorta related to this in a not so glamourous way. Freelance guys have been doing this shit for ages, it's not something exactly brand new.

Neil

A society of free agents is no society at all.  The freedomists won't be happy until they've managed to put every man at war with every other man, some sort of 'law of the jungle' civilization.  Absolute madness.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

Quote from: The Brain on July 16, 2013, 11:33:55 AM
QuoteMarshall Brain
Daniel Pink
Penelope Trunk

Any "omg teh sky is falling" article with real people in it?
Is Marshall your brother?

11B4V

The 12 July show Bill Maher had touched on that subject. Mike Rowe said he visited a CAT plant IIRC and they couldnt fill the 20 positions. These were 25.00/hr +. Interesting segment.

No Seedy it wasnt Kittycat plant either.

Motherfuckers are afraid to get their hands dirty and are basically lazy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 01:19:48 PM
The 12 July show Bill Maher had touched on that subject. Mike Rowe said he visited a CAT plant IIRC and they couldnt fill the 20 positions. These were 25.00/hr +. Interesting segment.

Well given what has been posted on this board it could be because each of those job postings required PhDs and twelve years of management experience. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Something tells me that the RoboCals are rejecting applications.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2013, 01:34:36 PM

Watch the segment. You would like BM he's a liberal ass-tard too. Also one of his panel called Obama a war criminal and BM was desperately defending the BiG O. It was rather amusing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I believe he describes himself as "Libertarian", which makes him a horrible person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 01:38:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2013, 01:34:36 PM

Watch the segment. You would like BM he's a liberal ass-tard too. Also one of his panel called Obama a war criminal and BM was desperately defending the BiG O. It was rather amusing.

Maher does like dead Muslims so I can see how he would react that way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Why would I like a guy because he's a liberal?

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2013, 01:41:40 PM

Well you do have a picture of that pinko RINO Nixon as your avatar.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on July 16, 2013, 10:56:43 AM
Quote from: KRonn on July 16, 2013, 09:21:39 AM
, insane out of control college tuition costs
Yes, and shame on the government for not doing anything about it.  This is one of those cases where I think government should intervene, since a) a lot of the problem is with the for-profit educational sector which is bascially defrauding both the government and the students it's pretending to serve, and b) kids that age really aren't equipped to make responsible financial decisions on their own yet and could potentially ruin their lives on the in many cases extremely poor investments they are being pressured to take on.
Agreed. I keep reading that parents are fed up with the costs and students wary of taking on the debt. I'm surprised that we don't seem to hear more talk and issues being raised about the rise in costs. Yeah, Congress is letting the student loan interest rates go up but I doubt that's the biggest cost issue. Lots of these colleges sit on hundreds of millions, some with billions, in endowments. And all these kids who help make or break the economy get crushed by massive school debt.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2013, 01:42:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2013, 01:41:40 PM
Well you do have a picture of that pinko RINO Nixon as your avatar.
The only people who consider Nixon a RINO are the sort of people who have betrayed the Republican Party and led it into a cul-de-sac of irrelevance and mindless devotion to dogma.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

So what if it is in fact the case that the continuing drive of technology simply means that there isn't enough work for everyone? As productivity continues to increase, isn't this what we would see? That the need for bodies working continues to decrease, while the increased output of "labor" is consumed by those who control the levers of production - ie, they tend to funnel it to themselves, which is human nature?

To put in very simple terms, if I own a business, and I employ 100 people at $50k a year each, and I buy a doodad that means I now can do the exact same thing with 90 people, it should come as no surprise that if I can I will funnel that excess productive capacity into greater profits for myself.

Multiply that by a bunch due to technology, globalization, market efficiency, etc., etc., and we live on a planet where the basic need for people working is going to continue to decline. Those who are engaged in work that is not as susceptible to modernization efficiency will do ok, but maybe at the end fo teh day we are looking at a more fundamental change in the value of labor in human production.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned