Britain hits the jackpot, finds largest shale gas deposit in the world

Started by jimmy olsen, July 15, 2013, 03:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

There is also the link to the BGS site, you don't have to pay any attention to Lomborg at all.

KRonn

Definitely seems like a win all around for the UK to go with producing the natural gas, if the article can be taken at face value or close enough to such. Anyways aren't newer, cleaner techniques for fracking being developed? I read somewhere that the current chemicals used may be replaced by more organic materials.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2013, 09:38:34 AM
Lomborg?

I'll wait until someone less shifty weighs in on the matter.
mmmmm yeah.... I'm going to also need you to come in on Sunday too.  MMMMhhh yeah....
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Brazen on July 15, 2013, 04:57:58 AM
Scotland will break off and float into the North Sea, conveniently coinciding with the independence vote.

And quickly find itself under water.  How apropos.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on July 15, 2013, 09:48:48 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2013, 09:38:34 AM
Lomborg?

I'll wait until someone less shifty weighs in on the matter.

Happy to see I'm not the only one taking aim at the messenger.  :lol:

Meh, slate article so again, no real reason to pay attention.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on July 15, 2013, 10:29:11 AM
Definitely seems like a win all around for the UK to go with producing the natural gas, if the article can be taken at face value or close enough to such. Anyways aren't newer, cleaner techniques for fracking being developed? I read somewhere that the current chemicals used may be replaced by more organic materials.

For the most part those chemicals are organic chemicals of some sort. While they are really not the problem the opponents portray them as there will be clear benefits to the producers in getting regulatory approval in being able to demonstrate how the chemicals eventually become harmless.                           

Organic /= Good. Remember most poisons are organic in addition to oil and gas themselves.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 15, 2013, 02:57:51 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 15, 2013, 10:29:11 AM

For the most part those chemicals are organic chemicals of some sort. While they are really not the problem the opponents portray them as there will be clear benefits to the producers in getting regulatory approval in being able to demonstrate how the chemicals eventually become harmless.                           

Organic /= Good. Remember most poisons are organic in addition to oil and gas themselves.

You are thinking of "organic" in terms of organic chemistry.  When most people talk about something being "organic" it's some extremely vague buzzword meaning something like natural, safe and healthy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017