Has anyone played Crown of Glory from Matrix Games?

Started by Berkut, March 12, 2009, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Game ended late 1807 just after I sneak-attacked Turkey (discovered their treaty with france was one-way only: frenchies werent obligated to help them).
France reached 1000 Glory points thus winning teh scenario.

Syt

Thanks, T. Have you played quick or detailed battles?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2009, 11:44:29 PM
Thanks, T. Have you played quick or detailed battles?

Both. Did not read up on quick battles in the manual though.

Also, I started a new game as Sweden. Shot myself in the leg with an Insurrection mission I gave to my only character. France made Denmark a protectorate earlier, in other words annexed it. So when I went into war with them in late 1806ish, I was besieging Kopenhagen (after defeating an equal French force in detailed battle), while I sent my dude to Norway to stear up trouble.
Little did I know, that his success meant all of Denmark became independent again. Altough there is the Coup mission for that, thats how I got Mecklenburg.

This means one could do nasty things to countries, especially Austria which has a truckload of "annexed" minors like Hungary and whatnot.

Tamas

Oh, and the music selection is most excellent.

Had an awesome tactical battle as France in 1792. Started it out against Austria but Prussian reinforcements arrived. There was a clear area between a big hill from the west, and a lake from the east, and my troops duked it out with the enemy for the entire battle there undecisively, while the real important battle was fought for the flanks. The hill was messy with Austrian cavalry holding me up, but only I had artillery next to the lake, so shot open a hole there during the third morning of the battle, then rout sort of spread on the prussian ranks (most austrians fled already). For this, I needed my own reinforcement army, because they not only had fresh infantry units, but also a supply train which was crucial (the AI's were staying back being harassed by my cavalry).

The battle AI is not genius: concentrate on one AI unit at a time with attacks and you should have no great problems with equal forces, altough it does keep a reasonable line and it is in no way inferior to general battle AI standards. Plus, moral and leadership matters a LOT, so you can have your work cut out for you.

Camerus

So is this game (the Emperor's Edition) worth buying?  I notice it's still the same selling price after like 2 years, lol. 

Syt

Unfortunately, I never dove in in any depth, though I still mean to. The economic part looks daunting, but you can automate it (no idea if it does a good job, though).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I mean to get back to this, but there are so many games. And with CK2 just 3 weeks away...

Also weird, I didn't remember that Sweden game I posted about 3 (three!) years ago.

ulmont

I was considering buying a copy of this, but it costs $50 for download only.  A 2009 update of a 2005 game.  What the hell is wrong with Matrix?