Main Menu

Economic Recovery in America

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 10, 2013, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

From 2009-2012:

Worker productivity: up 4.5 percent
Median hourly wages: down 2.8 percent.

Cue Comte d'Argent and Ideologue.  Go get 'em.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

That counts as a recovery, eh?

It's weird when economic recovery is completely divorced from the notion of employment recovery. Maybe it's not so weird. Maybe we're just fucked.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Ed anger productivity : -99%
Ed anger laziness: : +99%
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Seems like every recovery is a jobless recovery at first.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:41:08 PM
Seems like every recovery is a jobless recovery at first.

Except, for instance, the New Deal.

That one focused on the three Rs - relief, recovery, and reform.

Recent recoveries seem to focus largely on getting the economy back where it was, with precious little expended on relief or reform.

What drives me through the roof is that the economy continues to *grow*, while things get worse and worse for workers. The shiftless fuckers have done a great job convincing people that "things are tough all over", when they aren't - they're not tough at all for the cream of the crop. Fucking corporatist bullshit is what it is.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

I thought jobless recoveries were a relatively recent phenomenon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fhdz on July 10, 2013, 03:38:21 PM
It's weird when economic recovery is completely divorced from the notion of employment recovery. Maybe it's not so weird. Maybe we're just fucked.

Not so weird at all.  Companies have contracted and have learned to do more with less employees;  naturally, those employees remaining are more productive,as they're doing more work to make up for lost labor, and in turn the market has rewarded companies for stockpiling their capital. 

Besides, the goal for any company is to reach that ideal ratio of maximized profit, where the most money can be earned using the least amount of employees. 

Over time, we'll get where the private sector will continually contract to the point were there's only one company with one CEO overseeing one employee, and a contractor at that.  I haven't come up with a name for this theory yet, but when I do I will work Yi's name into it.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 04:23:03 PM

Not so weird at all.  Companies have contracted and have learned to do more with less employees;  naturally, those employees remaining are more productive,as they're doing more work to make up for lost labor, and in turn the market has rewarded companies for stockpiling their capital. 

My company keeps expanding which apparently means that people aren't getting raises unless they are promoted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 04:23:03 PM

Besides, the goal for any company is to reach that ideal ratio of maximized profit, where the most money can be earned using the least amount of employees. 

Over time, we'll get where the private sector will continually contract to the point were there's only one company with one CEO overseeing one employee, and a contractor at that.  I haven't come up with a name for this theory yet, but when I do I will work Yi's name into it.

Yiconomic Singularity?

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2013, 03:46:19 PM
I thought jobless recoveries were a relatively recent phenomenon

I haven't experienced any of the older ones.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I assume most of y'all are in favor of some sort of income redistribution?

If so, what form would you prefer?  Monthly check?  Refundable tax credit?  Make-work jobs for the unemployed and/or underemployed?  Housing vouchers? 

Who should get it?  What's the income cap?  24K for a single, 48 for a family of 4?  All 99%?

I'm not a huge fan of income redistribution, but I don't intend these questions ironically.  And I think with winner take all markets a reasonable case can be made for redistribution.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on July 10, 2013, 04:29:49 PM
Yiconomic Singularity?

You're a win as Wall Street, frunkenstien.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2013, 04:42:22 PM
I assume most of y'all are in favor of some sort of income redistribution?

Can you think of a way to change the corporate culture more toward benefitting employees than we currently see that doesn't involve government redistribution? Serious question.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...