News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

General issues

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 09, 2013, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2022, 02:43:17 PMDo what I do. assume everyone is ignoring you and then take it as a special gift if someone replies to one of your posts. :-)

I was pretending that Renard was on my ignore list.  :secret:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2022, 12:07:17 PMIs there a way for the system to tell you when a user is ignoring you?

It would avoid some waste of time.

I don't think there's a way for the target of the ignore to know.  On one hand, I agree with your thoughts here.  On the other, I can see how having ignore lists be semi-public leads to more unnecessary conflict in some cases.  The SMF Project seems to align firmly with the latter, since it's not even an option.

The Brain

First three posters who PM me "BRAINGIVEAWAY22" get $100.

Disclaimer: not really.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 23, 2022, 07:16:17 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2022, 12:07:17 PMIs there a way for the system to tell you when a user is ignoring you?

I don't think there's a way for the target of the ignore to know.  On one hand, I agree with your thoughts here.  On the other, I can see how having ignore lists be semi-public leads to more unnecessary conflict in some cases.  The SMF Project seems to align firmly with the latter, since it's not even an option.

Then we should get rid of the ignore list.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2022, 07:29:16 PMThen we should get rid of the ignore list.

No, we should keep it.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2022, 07:29:16 PM

Why? It is just a formal mechanism for what was already informally happening?

Also we have seen in the past few years that not all posters can get along with another so why make them read content they don't want to?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2022, 02:30:18 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2022, 07:29:16 PM

Why? It is just a formal mechanism for what was already informally happening?

Also we have seen in the past few years that not all posters can get along with another so why make them read content they don't want to?

Because I think it will further accelerate the decline & death of my favourite pub.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

People have ignored other posters since the days of Old Languish. Relax.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 25, 2022, 06:08:40 AMBecause I think it will further accelerate the decline & death of my favourite pub.

I think people using ignore lists constructively will lower the rate of people leaving permanently.

The Larch

The ignore function is a godsend, IMO.

Admiral Yi

I don't get it.  It's extremely easy to check who posted before deciding to continue reading.

It's like people get triggered just by the existence of a given poster.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2022, 05:50:14 PMI don't get it.  It's extremely easy to check who posted before deciding to continue reading.

I find it very difficult not to read the post if it's right there. Having to click "show me the post" makes a significant difference.

QuoteIt's like people get triggered just by the existence of a given poster.

Not at all. You still see they're there, you still see they posted. But you have a moment to think "is it a good idea for me to read this" before reading a post. Which is significant upgrade in quality of life.

Admiral Yi

OK, I thought Ignore just blanked that person out.

So it's a little like spoiler tags I guess.

Still think it's easy to manually ignore.

Razgovory

Everyone is back to ignoring me again. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2022, 06:51:59 PMEveryone is back to ignoring me again. :(
No.  But you need to write to be read. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.