News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

General issues

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 09, 2013, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

We've had four new members today.  I'm somewhat suspicious, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before we turn off registration again.  The first thread we get trying to sell me Air Jordans or biggers penises, we'll have reevaluate though.  Bots are sneaky, and Chinese people are insidious and evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

I dunno understant announcementz. :(

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Neil on March 18, 2015, 02:34:42 PM
We've had four new members today.  I'm somewhat suspicious, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before we turn off registration again.  The first thread we get trying to sell me Air Jordans or biggers penises, we'll have reevaluate though.  Bots are sneaky, and Chinese people are insidious and evil.

One of them is known to Larch, so it is really only three suspect.

CloudFlare seems to be working well so far, though.  It has already stopped almost 400 malicious access attempts.  It is collecting a nice database of suspect IPs, too.

mongers

Thanks for that Vm, everything is working to smoothly. :cheers:

Like Yi, I too do not understand this Magic you talk about, but it must be a powerful force working on the interweb's tubes/ley-lines.    :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

New blood? They have to enter of their own free will, right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on March 18, 2015, 04:12:29 PM
New blood? They have to enter of their own free will, right?

I bet 'Beamed' is gutted about no longer being out newest member.  :(

dps

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 18, 2015, 01:51:38 PM
When we have DNS problems, I am more productive in real life.

You heard the man--you need to un-do that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on March 18, 2015, 03:09:54 PM
I dunno understant announcementz. :(

Last time the forum was offline, did you suffer thru it & waited? If yes, the announcement isn't adressed to you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

So, after a few days of statistics it appears the Russians and Ukrainians are much bigger problems than the Chinese.  The majority of the malicious hits are from US or unknown IP addresses, though, so who knows who is ultimately behind those.

mongers

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 20, 2015, 03:56:50 PM
So, after a few days of statistics it appears the Russians and Ukrainians are much bigger problems than the Chinese.  The majority of the malicious hits are from US or unknown IP addresses, though, so who knows who is ultimately behind those.

Interesting.

I bet the percentage of attempted registration that are genuine is vanishingly small?

garbon

So I guess we have a guage on how good our bot blocker is?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Russians and their subject peoples are the enemies of all mankind.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

1 out of 400 or whatever is not too bad.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

So, the ones getting through are actually coming from within CloudFlare's network, which explains why CloudFlare isn't blocking them.  I'll let them know their services are being abused.

Neil

Yeah, we're getting a handful of new members every day, and every one is a spambot.