And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2024, 07:21:58 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 05, 2024, 11:26:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2024, 10:19:15 AMYou need to have means to get to America frpk house countries, though.

I am not saying the majority of Muslims in Europe want caliphate I am sure they do not. What I am unsure about is how many of them are opposed to the thought enough to work against it, but that part shan't become an issue for many decades.

But I think it's naive to think they or their families have come to Europe because of shared values. I am pretty sure most migrants everywhere are economic ones and they settle in their new countries despite and not because of the cultural differences from their original home.

Koopman's studies point to about 40% to 50% of muslims being fundamentalist.
How many of those live here vs Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey and other shitholes?

In the United States I find Muslims statistics sort of hard to understand because they are compared to Christian and Jewish stats and I don't know if they are comparable.

For example weekly service attendance is a big indicator for Jews and Christians at how religious they are. Like 55% of Protestants in the United States attend church once a week or more. 25% of Jews do. 30% of Catholics do. That is pretty important information to know how religious Protestants are compared to Jews and Catholics. Also how sometimes being a Catholic or a Jew doesn't actually have much to do with actually doing Catholic or Jew religious things but kind of an identity.

Whereas 42% of Muslims attend religious services once a week or more and 30% for Muslims between 18 and 30. Does that mean that Muslims in the United States are less religious than Protestants? That young Muslims are comparable to Jews in how seriously they take practicing the religion? Or does that stat really compare? Are Muslims even expected to go to Mosque once a week like Christians and Jews are? Don't know. Something like 15% of all Muslims have said they have never attended religious services ever. So...does that mean they are not religious at all? Not sure.

Likewise what sort of qualities would a Muslim have to be considered "fundamentalist"?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Attending Church (Mosque) has, IMO, never been as central to religious life for Muslims. Mosques are certainly important, but Islam has also long rejected many of the symbols and the "priestly class" of Christianity / Rabbinical Judaism. Imams are not the Muslim equivalent of a Priest, they are more like the Muslim equivalent of a Deacon, and aside from Shiites with their Ayatollahs (and I think Shia is only like 10% of Muslims worldwide or something), most Muslim religious leaders are basically just the equivalent of "popular theologians" who gain a following (that often perpetuates after their death.)

The Caliph had a special role in Islam, but obviously there hasn't been a Caliph in going on 100 years.

In traditional Christianity it is taught that you really need to go to Church, experience the liturgy etc. In Islam it is far more important you follow the Five Pillars in your daily life.

The "Friday prayer" was and is often an important time to gather in Mosques, similar to Sunday for Christians--but again, less so. In fact in many Islamic regions the Friday mosque gathering was only common in very large cities.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2024, 07:21:58 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 05, 2024, 11:26:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2024, 10:19:15 AMYou need to have means to get to America frpk house countries, though.

I am not saying the majority of Muslims in Europe want caliphate I am sure they do not. What I am unsure about is how many of them are opposed to the thought enough to work against it, but that part shan't become an issue for many decades.

But I think it's naive to think they or their families have come to Europe because of shared values. I am pretty sure most migrants everywhere are economic ones and they settle in their new countries despite and not because of the cultural differences from their original home.

Koopman's studies point to about 40% to 50% of muslims being fundamentalist.
How many of those live here vs Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey and other shitholes?

That's the Muslims in Europe. So even 1 is 1 too many