News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on Today at 01:44:01 AMMisinformation and intimidation.

I believe intimidation is illegal in the US.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 06:13:56 AM

:rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 07:09:09 AM

:rolleyes:

It's funny he had no comment about misinformation.

Grey Fox

On the unionization side, my local Amazon distribution center recently Unionized. Amazon is not happy and seems poise to challenge Quebec's entire unionization & recognition system in court over it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

This is not true, strictly speaking.  Intimidation is only illegal if the threat underlying it is an illegal act.  Employers can intimidate workers by claiming that they will redirect business elsewhere and this threaten loss of jobs, for instance, but they cannot intimidate by, eg, threatening to fire workers who vote to unionize.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 08:23:37 AMOn the unionization side, my local Amazon distribution center recently Unionized. Amazon is not happy and seems poise to challenge Quebec's entire unionization & recognition system in court over it.

Just wait until those American execs find out what the SCC has said about the constitutional protections given to collective bargaining rights.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 08:23:37 AMOn the unionization side, my local Amazon distribution center recently Unionized. Amazon is not happy and seems poise to challenge Quebec's entire unionization & recognition system in court over it.

On what grounds? I mean other than the obvious "we hate unions"?

crazy canuck

Visited a communal vintner that pools the production of 140 or so small producers in the area growing the Cannonau grape.  The result - amazing.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on Today at 10:44:03 AM

On what grounds? I mean other than the obvious "we hate unions"?

Quebec's certification process doesn't include a vote, having a majority of workers sign a union card is enough.

QuoteAmazon contesting labour law
Before the labour tribunal's decision was even rendered, Amazon said it would contest any decision approving the union. A hearing has been set for June 10.

In a letter sent to the labour tribunal on May 6, Amazon said it could not back the accreditation because it "does not respect the interests of its employees." It claimed that some employees were misled to sign union cards.

The company also claimed some sections of Quebec's labour code go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by using membership cards instead of a secret ballot vote.

"We believe that all people should have the right to inform themselves and to vote according to their situation and convictions at the time," said Barbara M. Agrait, an Amazon spokesperson, in a statement to CBC.

"If a simple majority of people at an employer have joined a union at any point, then there's no vote and representation is automatic for all employees – including maybe dozens or hundreds of employees who didn't even know it was being considered."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/laval-amazon-warehouse-union-accredited-1.7202192

crazy canuck

Yeah Amazon, that's what a carding system looks like.  And  um secret ballet for a union certification is not a constitutional right  in Canada.  I will make extra popcorn to watch this.

Grey Fox

And you know, Quebec legislature has no qualms about using the withstanding clause.