News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It seems like the model was trained on a lot of Cyrillic writing. Still can't draw fingers properly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

With the Jackets in blow it up mode, I'm really glad the PWHL is so amazing. I've watched more hockey via their games than I had in the past few years combined of AHL and NHL games. I also plan on going to catch a few of the IIHF Women's Tournament games in person.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 12, 2024, 07:03:03 AMWith the Jackets in blow it up mode, I'm really glad the PWHL is so amazing. I've watched more hockey via their games than I had in the past few years combined of AHL and NHL games. I also plan on going to catch a few of the IIHF Women's Tournament games in person.
The Women are impressive to watch.  Good hockey there, for the few parts I could watch.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

This looks like the movie Slapshot:
https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/lnh-bagarre-generale-entre-les-rangers-et-les-devils-des-le-debut-du-match-1.18480045

Right at the beginning of the game, as the puck drops, all players drop their gloves to fight one another.  :huh:  All players except the goalies are involved in the fights and the crowd is cheering.

The coaches were insulting one another and this game had the most penalty minutes since a 2014 game when John Tortorella tried to assault the locker room of the opposing team.

There is no such thing as violence problem in modern major league hockey.
Repeat after me: there is no such things as a violence problem in modern major league hockey.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Coyotes are done for.  Moving to Salt Lake City for the next season.

The new owner is paying 1.2 billion$ to the NHL, the current owner receives 1 billion$ of those.

Link

viper37

While Israel conveniently diverted everyone's attention away with its attack on Iran, the NHL's governor board could easily proceed to ratify the official move of the Coyotes to Salt Lake City. :sleep:

Their arena has a capacity of 12 000 seats for hockey.  Plans are in motion to expand it to 17 000, apparently.  No name has been announced for the team yet. 

Meruelo, the current former Arizona Coyote owner has 5 years to buy a plot of land and build a modern arena on it if it wants to bring back the franchise to this desert.  Although he does not require public funding or tax rebates, there are major obstructions to his project: city infrastructures, notably the water needed in a desert city that is already stretched for this resource.

This does not feel like satire:
NHL to expand to every city in North America except Quebec City

QuoteIf you don't have an NHL ready arena don't worry. Just not speaking french or having a rich history of loving hockey is enough for us!"

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on Today at 07:09:48 PMThis does not feel like satire:
NHL to expand to every city in North America except Quebec City

QuoteIf you don't have an NHL ready arena don't worry. Just not speaking french or having a rich history of loving hockey is enough for us!"

Ryan Smith, owner of the Utah Jazz, and soon-to-be owner of the former Arizona Coyotes, is spending $1.2 billion to buy the Coyotes.

Is there anyone out there willing to spend $1.2 billion to buy a team in Quebec City?

It's a real shame, but money is the only language the NHL will listen to.  I don't think PKP had $500 mil a decade ago to get an expansion team back when Vegas entered the league, and I'm sure he doesn't have $1.2 bil now.

I'd love to see the Nords back.  But the NHL's actions are more easily explainable than just being anti-french bigots.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

No, there isn't and PKP doesn't have 1.2B USD to spend on this.

Just like with a MLB team, no one is really interested in paying with their own money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Hamilton doesn't speak French and will never get a team either.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 10:14:09 PMNo, there isn't and PKP doesn't have 1.2B USD to spend on this.

Just like with a MLB team, no one is really interested in paying with their own money.

Winnipeg is so lucky to have gotten back in to the league when we did. 2011 the price was $170 mil IIRC.  Now it's 1.2 bil.  I know Winnipeg has the wealthiest man in Canada as part of it's ownership group, but almost no chance he'd step up to finance a hockey team at that price.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.