And we're back!

Main Menu

Mos Def undergoes force-feeding for Guantanamo

Started by garbon, July 09, 2013, 08:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: frunk on July 09, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
Not really. Obviously they want things they don't have. That's pretty much a requirement for being a prisoner.

Other options for a prisoner to get attention are....

I don't know? I don't see how that's relevant.

Syt

I always took hunger strikes as a demonstration of willpower/conviction in a cause. It takes a lot of discipline to starve yourself.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maximus

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2013, 11:47:24 AM
I always took hunger strikes as a demonstration of willpower/conviction in a cause. It takes a lot of discipline to starve yourself.

Being willing to blow yourself up already demonstrates that.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 11:48:07 AM

Not to that extent.  Hunger strike requires you to constantly hurt yourself 24/7 for weeks.

Syt

That is one moment of strong will, not days, weeks or months of continued self deprivation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: frunk on July 09, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
Not really. Obviously they want things they don't have. That's pretty much a requirement for being a prisoner.

Other options for a prisoner to get attention are....

Dirty protest

Admiral Yi

Blowing yourself up demonstrates commitment to the jihadist cause.  Starving yourself demonstrates commitment to the terms of incarceration cause.

The Larch

Hunger strikes are also a way to make the captor look bad. No prison warden wants their prisoners to die on him for avoidable reasons.

Razgovory

Cause a prison is responsible for the well being of it's inmates?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 11:45:02 AMNo.  I don't see how that relates in any way to me giving a shit.  Some person wants to starve or kill themselves to get some attention?  We have plenty of attention whores already, but knock yourself out.

Oh, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were saying you didn't understand why someone would do such a thing.

It appears you were saying you didn't understand why you should give a shit. That's a question you have to answer for yourself; it appears you've already done so.

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2013, 11:51:05 AM
Not to that extent.  Hunger strike requires you to constantly hurt yourself 24/7 for weeks.
Ok, but that's just a matter of degree. I am already convinced that they are devoted to their cause. We already knew that when they were placed there in the first place. Nothing changes because we know they are super-duper dedicated.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2013, 11:58:22 AM
Blowing yourself up demonstrates commitment to the jihadist cause.  Starving yourself demonstrates commitment to the terms of incarceration cause.
Ok, but to what avail? Prisoners are unhappy with terms of incarceration, news at 11? Does that change because they are super-unhappy?(see above)

crazy canuck

I find the reactions of Max and Scary Spice curious.

Have hunger strikes become so common that they have lost their effect?  I am not sure that is true.  As a society (writ large) are we becoming immune to the plight of others?  Perhaps.

Maximus

It's not a plight if it's intentionally self-inflicted.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2013, 12:01:21 PM
Oh, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were saying you didn't understand why someone would do such a thing.

It appears you were saying you didn't understand why you should give a shit. That's a question you have to answer for yourself; it appears you've already done so.

You almost got it.  I'm trying to understand why something like a hunger strike has such effect on others. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall