If you had a hundred grand cash in your pocket...

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 09, 2013, 04:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2013, 07:07:31 PM
One interesting investment option I read about in the Economist is peer to peer lending (it might have a different name).  When I first read about it a long time ago I thought it was sort of like microfinance: "lend me $200 so I can buy a used bike to deliver newspapers."  Turns out the majority of it is credit card consolidation loans.  People go on these sites to refinance their 18% balances at 14%.
What is the risk.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Tonitrus

No support for the Languish Breastaruant franchise? :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fhdz on July 09, 2013, 07:09:52 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 09, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
Adopt a child.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Hey man, don't knock the concept.  There's a wide selection of 16 year olds from the Pacific Rim to choose from these days. 
Think of it this way, you're halfway through the troubled teen years.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 07:11:32 PM
Adopt a child.

Hey man, don't knock the concept.  There's a wide selection of 16 year olds from the Pacific Rim to choose from these days. 

I'm just laughing at the notion of a child as an investment rather than a giant (loveable, amazing, brilliant, blah blah blah) money pit.

Eddie Teach

Adopt a child.

That's the lamest investment strategy ever, unless you're going the Count de Humbert route.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 09, 2013, 07:10:52 PM
No support for the Languish Breastaruant franchise? :(

Hell, Ed's favorite, Tudor Biscuit World franchises start at $50,000....could start breaking them into Maryland.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 09, 2013, 04:53:45 AM
...And you were looking for something to invest it in, what would you do?

Assume getting additional financing is not a problem.

I'd invest in my future and get another college degree. :)

Seriously, as an occasional player of the South Carolina Education Lottery, I have given the matter thought.  $100,000 (taxes paid) would probably be applied in toto to my student loans.

Anything less than about $80k, and I'd have to do some serious quantitative, including actuarial, analysis to determine if spending the money to satisfy my debt obligations would actually be worthwhile.  I know at some point there is a cutoff where it would be wasting the money, assuming a steady state or declining income and continuing on the IBR program till death and/or 25 years have elapsed.

Sub $30k, and I'd pay off my consumer debt and blow the rest on a Mustang, or a Camry and an HD projector, depending upon how I feel that day.

In the middle region, I'd likeliest pay off consumer debt and buy a house.

Of course, PSLF changes the analysis.  If I am able to snag this here gubmint jerb for which I recently interviewed, it'd be financially boneheaded to spend a dime more than the law requires, unless I were to win so preposterously much that I decided to walk away from gainful employment forever, i.e. a ten-plus figure payout.

However, since IBR tracks income and not assets, I think it's possible I'd only take the hit for one year, and then I could get on FOX News the year after that. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

See, my post is a lot more realistic for the average person, since the best "investment" for the average person is to deleverage.  LOL WHAT FAILURE OF AGGREGATE DEMAND.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 09, 2013, 05:13:39 AM
Life does not reward work. It rewards risk. Brainstorm.

Typically, it rewards neither.

I have considered started a legal staffing company to try to compete with my paymasters, who exploit us at the same time they charge [firm name] too much.  If I could get my former coworkers to sign on and [firm name] on board, as a completely parasitic entity, we'd be pretty profitable.  My idea is sort of like a more socially-acceptable unionization effort.

The problem is rocking the boat could just as easily get me fired.  If I had other employment, though, I wouldn't give a shit.

The downside is that the legal industry is disintegrating, including document review.
Kinemalogue

Phillip V

Quote from: fhdz on July 09, 2013, 07:12:54 PM
Adopt a child.

I'm just laughing at the notion of a child as an investment rather than a giant (loveable, amazing, brilliant, blah blah blah) money pit.

It's a big risk, especially if they come out or end up retarded/disabled, but good productive children can increase family security and ultimately make the world a better place by their 20's or even earlier.

fhdz

Quote from: Phillip V on July 09, 2013, 07:26:18 PM
Adopt a child.

It's a big risk, especially if they come out or end up retarded/disabled, but good productive children can increase family security and ultimately make the world a better place by their 20's or even earlier.

We as parents do our best to ensure that they all come out a leeeettle beet retarded/disabled.

Ideologue

Quote from: fhdz on July 09, 2013, 07:30:48 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 09, 2013, 07:26:18 PM
Adopt a child.

We as parents do our best to ensure that they all come out a leeeettle beet retarded/disabled.

I don't think any parent deliberately raises their child to be like Tamas.
Kinemalogue