Nevada cops sued: forced occupation of private homes

Started by 11B4V, July 07, 2013, 05:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 09:36:19 PM
Either way, the chief of police should have to answer of something.  It's genuinely bizarre behavior and I have no idea why they thought they could get away with it.

That comes from a sense of a lack of accountability within an organization without proper leadership and supervision.  And that starts at the top.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2013, 09:53:26 PM
Either way, the chief of police should have to answer of something.  It's genuinely bizarre behavior and I have no idea why they thought they could get away with it.

That comes from a sense of a lack of accountability within an organization without proper leadership and supervision.  And that starts at the top.

Yeah, I know.  You got a keep a close eye on cops.  They'll run amok without a strong hand to keep them in line. I remember our old police chief saying that the police force attracts a lot of bad apples who want to have the authority to push people around.  Since they make up a significant percentage of the people there you can't fire all these jackasses, so you really need to keep them on a tight leash.  After he left the new police chief was injured somehow and was paralyzed from the waist down and sometimes couldn't move his arms.  The city was afraid of firing a cripple, so they kept him on.  It didn't take long till you had a lot of cases of abuse and corruption.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 08, 2013, 07:21:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would they go with a quartering argument, as opposed to, say, eminent domain?

Eminent domain, no, but:
QuoteTheir attorney is asking for a trial by jury to hear the case and ideally award his clients punitive damages for violations of the Third, Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, assault and battery, conspiracy, defamation, abuse of process, malicious prosecution, negligence and emotional distress

So they have plenty of other bases covered.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: stjaba on July 08, 2013, 07:11:09 PM
Edit: Was confused, the case I was thinking had to do with national guard troops being utilized to replace striking prison guards, so we are probably thinking about same case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engblom_v._Carey.

That's the one.  2nd circuit.
The incorporation part of the decision is probably sound, in light of what the Supreme Court had to say on the subject in McDonald v. Chicago (the Chicago handgun ban case).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2013, 10:38:11 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 08, 2013, 07:21:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would they go with a quartering argument, as opposed to, say, eminent domain?

Eminent domain, no, but:
QuoteTheir attorney is asking for a trial by jury to hear the case and ideally award his clients punitive damages for violations of the Third, Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, assault and battery, conspiracy, defamation, abuse of process, malicious prosecution, negligence and emotional distress

So they have plenty of other bases covered.

What?  No trespass?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 10:03:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2013, 09:53:26 PM

Yeah, I know.  You got a keep a close eye on cops.  They'll run amok without a strong hand to keep them in line. I remember our old police chief saying that the police force attracts a lot of bad apples who want to have the authority to push people around.  Since they make up a significant percentage of the people there you can't fire all these jackasses, so you really need to keep them on a tight leash.  After he left the new police chief was injured somehow and was paralyzed from the waist down and sometimes couldn't move his arms.  The city was afraid of firing a cripple, so they kept him on.  It didn't take long till you had a lot of cases of abuse and corruption.

In all fairness to the police, it's not just cops, though.  Seedy's comments apply to any organization.