19 year old given $500,000 bail for Facebook status

Started by merithyn, July 03, 2013, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Btw, isn't what he described legal in Texas after sunset? Non-case indeed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2013, 03:57:31 PM

Only if the kids tried to rip him off by not giving him the sex that he had paid for.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

In any case, I'll keep my mouth shot from now on.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2013, 03:57:31 PM

Killing kindergartners and eating their still, beating (why the comma?) hearts is illegal at all times of the day except on certain holidays.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2013, 03:47:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2013, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2013, 03:41:03 PM
I've "threatened" to bake babies into matzoh more than once, in response to a "Jew Lawyer" jibe.  :D Is that a "clear-cut offence of uttering threats"?

I forgot about that. :hmm:

BB, make sure you get them to round up Malthus as well as Brain.  One can never be too sure in cases like this!

Seperate cells, please.  :)
Dont worry, you aren't his type.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2013, 03:11:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2013, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2013, 02:54:38 PM
Agreed.  Several months in jail isn't called for here, but some sort of action was warranted...

A stern talking-to?

Charging this kid with an actual offence is a waste of public resources, assuming the facts are as stated.

Disagree.

First, while he might be a "kid", he's 19 and legally an adult (and thus responsible for his actions).

This is a pretty clear cut offence of Uttering Threats.

Uttering Threats are are dime a dozen right here on Languish.  :D

This is why prosecutors ought to use their discretion. In this case, there was no specific target named and the circumstances tended to indicate the "threat" wasn't meant seriously. The details were fantastical - I mean, really, he's "threatening" to commit cannibalism. Of the still-beating heart of a child.

I've "threatened" to bake babies into matzoh more than once, in response to a "Jew Lawyer" jibe.  :D Is that a "clear-cut offence of uttering threats"?

I am reminded of a long-ago Languish thread where I simply re-posted various "hate crime" laws, and compared it to what some people said around here on a regular basis, and wondered why people would do that.  Then the entire board jumped down my throat claiming I was trying to prosecute them.

There is a "joke" defence to Uttering Threats, or whatever else, but it's nebulous and hard to define. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: katmai on July 04, 2013, 04:05:31 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2013, 03:47:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2013, 03:45:39 PM

I forgot about that. :hmm:

BB, make sure you get them to round up Malthus as well as Brain.  One can never be too sure in cases like this!

Seperate cells, please.  :)
Dont worry, you aren't his type.

I am his species.

Another way of saying the same thing.  ;)

Neil

You know who else was always trying to prosecute people?  Machiavelli.

At any rate, 'I was just following the law' isn't a real defence.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2013, 04:09:30 PM
I am reminded of a long-ago Languish thread where I simply re-posted various "hate crime" laws, and compared it to what some people said around here on a regular basis, and wondered why people would do that.  Then the entire board jumped down my throat claiming I was trying to prosecute them.

There is a "joke" defence to Uttering Threats, or whatever else, but it's nebulous and hard to define.

Everyone* agrees that there are sensible limits to free speech - such as "uttering threats" and the like. Where we disagree, is that in my opinion, such limits must be, well, limited - only to apply in the most clear-cut and pressing of cases; otherwise, the "sensible limits" will overwhelm the "freedom".

Unfortunately, such an approach requires common sense.  :hmm:

* Well, almost everyone.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2013, 03:00:05 PM
So you hate the police.  How do you feel about judges and lawyers?

Well judges appear to me very useful for causes I support. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 04, 2013, 03:31:28 PM
Speaking of posting bail, CdM, you were a bail bondsman, yes?  How does that shit work?  You guys take the 10%, hand over the full amount to the city/county or whoever, then when the dude shows up you get that back plus keep the 10%?

Yeah, take 10%, that's kept.  In this kid's case, the fee would be $50K and we'd give the court a power of attorney surety coupon for $500K.  When the case is closed, we petition the court to get the surety power of attorney back.

But, not everybody has $50K, so I'd take a downpayment to get him out.  Local 19 year old?  With parents involved, I'd do it for $8K to $10K, owe me the rest in installments.  Of course, they'd never pay, or want to pay, $40K in a balance on a sliding scale over time, so would probably collect up to $25K and call it even-stevens.   Anything less than that, I'd have to sue, even after the case is over.

If the parents had any equity in the home, it could be a property/surety mix, post that part to the courts to knock down that $500K, and work the rest out.  I like those, knocks down the total bail and locks up the house.  And I get to use the "I'll take your fucking home and use it as a fucking shelter for cats with reading disorders because it'll be all fucking mine and that's my fucking thing" threat if he didn't go to court.

Admiral Yi

Uttering Threats are are dime a dozen right here on Languish.  :D

This is why prosecutors ought to use their discretion. In this case, there was no specific target named and the circumstances tended to indicate the "threat" wasn't meant seriously. The details were fantastical - I mean, really, he's "threatening" to commit cannibalism. Of the still-beating heart of a child.

+1

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2013, 05:30:41 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 04, 2013, 03:31:28 PM
Speaking of posting bail, CdM, you were a bail bondsman, yes?  How does that shit work?  You guys take the 10%, hand over the full amount to the city/county or whoever, then when the dude shows up you get that back plus keep the 10%?

I like those, knocks down the total bail and locks up the house.  And I get to use the "I'll take your fucking home and use it as a fucking shelter for cats with reading disorders because it'll be all fucking mine and that's my fucking thing" threat if he didn't go to court.

I think we found the village bail bondsman.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".