19 year old given $500,000 bail for Facebook status

Started by merithyn, July 03, 2013, 11:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 04, 2013, 01:27:05 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 04, 2013, 01:23:17 PM
He is 19. He can defend himself.
When I was 19, I could fight all day, fuck all night, and never get tired.

Yes indeed........but did you put on women's clothing and hang around in bars?

:lol:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 04, 2013, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 04, 2013, 07:14:20 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2013, 12:34:24 AM
Some punk kid types some stupid shit on the internet and you throw him in jail for months on end? That's some deeply stupid, dysfunctional shit.

Agreed, but not nearly so dysfunctional as those say "Yeah, he deserved it" and no doubt there are probably 'commentators' now joking about the rape of a teenager in prison.

To be fair, mostly what I've heard people saying is, "What an idiot." No one, to my knowledge, thinks he deserves four months in prison, to be raped and beaten, and to be kept in isolation naked "for his own protection" over this. At the same time, he posted something insanely stupid two months after someone went postal at an elementary school.

He doesn't deserve what he go, but he was supremely stupid.

Yeah and he has not even been convicted of a crime yet.  He may yet be found innocent.  Is this justice to you?  What does he being stupid have to do with it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"The whole situation is kind of unfortunate," said New Braunfels Police Lt. John Wells. "We definitely understand the situation that Mr. Carter is in, however he made the comments, and it is an offense. We have to ... protect the general public and specifically, in this case, with it involving schoolchildren, we have to act. We take those very seriously."

Yeah I feel so much safer knowing I can be locked up and beaten and abused for months on end without trial.  Clearly you take this situation very seriously.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2013, 11:47:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2013, 11:44:09 PM
You bitch about law enforcement all the time.

Which clearly means I think no laws should be enforced?

No laws are being enforced, this kid has not even been judged guilty of a crime yet.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 04, 2013, 02:22:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2013, 11:47:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2013, 11:44:09 PM
You bitch about law enforcement all the time.

Which clearly means I think no laws should be enforced?

No laws are being enforced, this kid has not even been judged guilty of a crime yet.

Seems like an odd thing to saw. Generally when people say law enforcement, they think about the police and generally the people they handle haven't been judged guilty of the crimes they are being convicted for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2013, 02:23:27 PM
Seems like an odd thing to saw. Generally when people say law enforcement, they think about the police and generally the people they handle haven't been judged guilty of the crimes they are being convicted for.

One obvious problem in this case is the absurdly high bail, which ensures that the kid sits in prision until his trial.

This is an injustice having nothing to do with his guilt or innocence. Unless there are facts we don't know, there seems no possible reason to suspect this guy is an immediate risk to anyone or is likely to flee the jurisdiction.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2013, 02:23:27 PM

Not really.  Law enforcement is the entire process from arrest to trial and judgement.  Enforcement of the laws is not subjecting people to extensive abuse for months on end who have not even been judged guilty.  Heck doing it for convicts is pretty unjust.  But to you that is 'enforcing the laws'? 

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the Constitution was the supreme law of the land.  How exactly is this consistent with the eighth or the sixth?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2013, 12:56:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2013, 12:51:29 PMWhat's not to get?  Criminal penalties for speech and thought-crimes is a European staple
How you come to have that impression?
Quotealthough the severity of the punishment is certainly Made in the USA.
Anti-nazi prohibitions.  The tendency for people who are vocal anti-immigration activists to get prosecuted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

I could see this guy spending some time in an institution for a thorough psych evaluation, but jail?

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on July 04, 2013, 02:34:29 PM
I could see this guy spending some time in an institution for a thorough psych evaluation, but jail?

Well that may indeed be the result reached by the court in the trial.  But his case has not even been heard yet except the indictment.  He may be judged innocent.

Neil

Well, maybe he can hit it rich in the civil suit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.