King Albert II to give up on Belgium and retire to his estates

Started by Drakken, July 03, 2013, 02:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/belgian-king-albert-ii-to-step-down-in-favour-of-son/article12948959/

QuoteBelgian King Albert II to abdicate in favour of son

Belgium's King Albert II said on Wednesday he would abdicate and leave the throne to his son on July 21, saying he felt too old to carry out his duties properly.

"I realize that my age and my health are no longer allowing me to carry out my duties as I would like to," the 79-year-old monarch said in a televised address.

Belgium's 53-year-old heir apparent, Philippe, who studied at Trinity College, Oxford, and Stanford University, has already led Belgian trade delegations to countries such as the United States, China and Thailand. He has four children.

The abdication comes only six months after Queen Beatrix of the neighbouring Netherlands announced she would vacate the Dutch throne in favour of her son Willem Alexander.

While the Belgian monarch has no executive powers and plays a largely ceremonial role, he is a rare uniting factor in an otherwise divided country which in recent years has seen more and more powers devolved to regional governments.

Albert II, who has three children, ascended to the throne in 1993 when his childless brother Baudouin died.

In 1999 Belgian media reported that Albert had fathered a fourth child, a daughter, in an extramarital affair in the 1960s. The palace never acknowledged this.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

so what. the new one will be in the pocket of the PS too

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
Does Belgium have a government yet?

Hasn't resulted in any major problems apparently. Isn't Belgium fairly decentralised anyway?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Is Belgium gradually dissolving, as bit by bit people can't be arsed to carry on or renew each of it's institutions. 

And at some point it will cease to exist as there will be nothing 'Belgium-like' left, but no one will notice until a few years later when someone says "What ever happened to Belgium, is it still around ?" :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

The UK sacrificed 800k soldiers for Belgium. Which is both sad and hilarious. Mostly sad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

It seems monarchs abdicating is all the rage these days.  Pity I do not have that option in CK2
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."