Roughing it in Australia- travel log from the shitty city of sydney

Started by Lettow77, July 02, 2013, 11:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2013, 09:05:31 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2013, 08:58:50 PM
I'm confused as to why Lettow is in Australia.

Because he's nuttier than squirrel shit.

And of course he's going to complain about his situation;  he's probably doing it with about $30 in his pocket.  Of course the life of the wandering homeless sucks.

Sydney is expensive as hell atm. He picked a poor place to wander.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

It wasn't cheap when I was there and we had almost 2-1 value in currency.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Lettow77

I will be fine; I lived on $10 yesterday. Luxury is the enemy :3

I have already plotted the date of my escape from Sydney after a suitable period. I am looking forward to it eagerly.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

11B4V

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 02, 2013, 09:56:30 PM
I will be fine; I lived on $10 yesterday. Luxury is the enemy :3

I have already plotted the date of my escape from Sydney after a suitable period. I am looking forward to it eagerly.

The aborigines in concert with their Belgian spies well stop you.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Any place in the world is going to be crap if you have no money for a decent place to sleep and to buy or prepare a meal for yourself.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I dunno, travelling super cheap can be quite fun.
Its nice to see how far you can travel on very little money and you tend to meet a better class of people (country dependant) and see the reality of places you travel, not just the tourist sites.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Yes, but there's a difference between saving money on accommodation and food by going to hostels, bed & breakfasts or local food places instead of business hotels and four star restaurants, and living like a vagrant eating scraps.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
So Lettuce, how is this preparing you for your future career? :)

that's the reason he's there. to better his chance at future career in japan, he's gone to australia to attend the university of cambridge's CELTA program in sydney. with the certificate and his recent graduation from university, he'll have much better chance at finding employment as a teacher

did languish really think lettuce would travel around australia as a tourist?  :D

The Larch

Staying at hostels can be great fun, but I understand how it may not be for everyone. Personally I've always enjoyed it.

Btw, you can avoid getting into creepy places that look like slasher film sets by doing some research. There are tons of websites that can help, like hostels.com.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: LaCroix on July 03, 2013, 03:23:51 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
So Lettuce, how is this preparing you for your future career? :)

that's the reason he's there. to better his chance at future career in japan, he's gone to australia to attend the university of cambridge's CELTA program in sydney. with the certificate and his recent graduation from university, he'll have much better chance at finding employment as a teacher

did languish really think lettuce would travel around australia as a tourist?  :D
Being white, having a degree and a pulse is normally enough.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

A friend of mine bummed around the UK for awhile after graduating from high school. He was from Lawrence, Michigan, which is so small even the Michigan media refers to it as "A town outside of Paw Paw."  He stayed at hostels for the most part.  Somewhere in the north of England he was at one where the guy next to him pulled out a bust of Stalin, shone a red light on it, and started worshipping it.  So he went to the local bed and breakfast and was astounded that they six different kinds of fish for breakfast.   :bowler:

In part, due to that story I never stayed in hostels in my travels.  Years later I went to the House of Terror (a museum of the fascist and communist periods) in Budapest.  To my amusement they sold candles of Stalin.  I bought one for him.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Lettow77

I have settled into a strange area; it is more asian than previously, being something like 70% orientals, with a leavening of Indians, Lebanese and even the odd Greek or two. Anglo-Australians make up less than 10% of the populace.

For all of that, it has the atmosphere of a safe suburb, albiet a disconcertingly vibrant one. I was able to acquire good tea.

I have fallen into the company of two prospective english learners, here to steal an Australian education before furthering China's imperial interests, with the assumed names of Kevin and Edwin. They come to me ceaselessly for assistance. One loves B.B King and the blues; I feed him a steady stream of propaganda about our great city, and have assured him a career awaits him there in his chosen field and that my circle of friends would be happy to welcome him. (It would be best if he stole his Australian education for the glory of the South instead.)

Most disconcertingly, however, I seem to be living with an elderly German scientologist. The man is quite "devout". He takes to feeding us, which is a fine gesture, but it tends to consist of things such as a pumpkin porridge into which crusts of bread are dipped. (It seems I have lost a lot of weight once more; from the lofty, unassailable heights of 154 poundsin my beautiful river city, I now hover near 138.)
He laughs often and loudly, while instituting a variety of minor (german!) rules. Strangest to me is his notion that a shower should not extend past 4 minutes, but it can't be helped. Any shower at all was a welcome change.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

That elderly German scientologist is so going to blitzkrieg your bunghole.