<insert witty title here>: an Allied WitP:AE AAR

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 02, 2013, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2013, 12:48:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2013, 09:57:40 AM
Considering the Japanese totally whiffed on Pearl Harbor, he ought to have plenty of battlewagons to spare.

Yeah, in his shoes I'd be looking at a restart with a better scenario.  The Japs have completely whiffed on everything in this one.

The Reluctant Admiral is a good one.  I'm playing that one as the Japanese first, then will switch to the allies on 1 July 1942.  It has a much smarter Japanese air production model than historical, and changes more ship production to carriers and light carriers.

I think that is a good idea.  The Japanese are getting spanked when they leave Betty range.  It seems like it will be too easy to set up a defensive perimeter and wait for the Essex Rush.

I'm going to play with RA, but since RA 6.0 should be released any day now I'm not going to start an AAR for one yet.  I like the idea of playing the Japanese for the initial expansion and will do so, though my wife will complain. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 08, 2013, 12:09:39 PM
I like the idea of playing the Japanese for the initial expansion and will do so, though my wife will complain. :P

What's her beef with the Lil' Nippers?  :mad:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2013, 08:28:57 PM
What's her beef with the Lil' Nippers?  :mad:

They're the "bad guys", so I shouldn't be playing them. :P

CountDeMoney

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Tell me about it.  I get all kinds of shit when I play HOI2 since Germany and Russia are the only two fun countries.

Anyway, I'm going to start over with AndyMac's Ironman "Nasty" scenario.  This time I am going to rerun the turn 1 resolution until the Japs do something meaningful at Pearl.  When RA 6.0 hits I will pick that up and do the Japan/Allies switcheroo.  Alternately, if Ide, Drakken, or someone else cares for it, I will do one or more RA 6.0 PBEMs in parallel with the Ironman runthrough.

CountDeMoney

Where does the little missus stand on the Wars of Austrian Succession?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

She has no opinions about random wars, but she loves Maria Theresa.

Ideologue

How was the Soviet Union the bad guy?  They had to protect themselves with a defensive buffer, Poland and the Balts refused to ally with them against the Nazis, the Brits and French were sure to adopt a passive stance, and the RKKA needed a few years to get reorganized following its rightsizing of the officer corps, so a temporary deal with Hitler was the only option.  Then, after the trap had been set, Stalin rid the world of Hitler and Hitlerism, liberating Germany with what history records to be a minimum of violence.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 10, 2013, 10:34:12 PM
She has no opinions about random wars, but she loves Maria Theresa.
Did you marry Habsy's sister?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 11, 2013, 01:07:19 AM
How was the Soviet Union the bad guy?  They had to protect themselves with a defensive buffer, Poland and the Balts refused to ally with them against the Nazis, the Brits and French were sure to adopt a passive stance, and the RKKA needed a few years to get reorganized following its rightsizing of the officer corps, so a temporary deal with Hitler was the only option.  Then, after the trap had been set, Stalin rid the world of Hitler and Hitlerism, liberating Germany with what history records to be a minimum of violence.
What an odd thing to say.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2013, 08:15:06 AM
Did you marry Habsy's sister?

No, a polisci who loves modern European history. :P

Viking

Muscovy already had Novgorod, Zaporoszhe, Kiev and most of Lithuania as a buffer. The largest country in the world decided it needed a buffer. WTF? If he hadn't murdered all his officers and violently subjugated the various minorities then the USSR would have been in a better state to resist. Plus, not oiling, feeding and resourcing the fascist economies during the first two years of war.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 10, 2013, 06:22:16 PM
Anyway, I'm going to start over with AndyMac's Ironman "Nasty" scenario.  This time I am going to rerun the turn 1 resolution until the Japs do something meaningful at Pearl.  When RA 6.0 hits I will pick that up and do the Japan/Allies switcheroo.  Alternately, if Ide, Drakken, or someone else cares for it, I will do one or more RA 6.0 PBEMs in parallel with the Ironman runthrough.

I have no objection. I'd propose however to use DaBigBabes' standard maps, which introduces individual hex stacking limits.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Drakken on July 11, 2013, 11:31:50 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 10, 2013, 06:22:16 PM

I have no objection. I'd propose however to use DaBigBabes' standard maps, which introduces individual hex stacking limits.

Fine by me.  I have never played with global stacking limits, but certain areas certainly need them.  RA is DBB-compatible, so I assume we could use the stacking limits.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2013, 08:16:04 AM
What an odd thing to say.

He's an odd person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017