News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FM2009 - The thread, we still need one.

Started by Viking, March 13, 2009, 09:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Liep

I find enjoyment in overreacting when my players publically complain about lack of first team action.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

I enjoy crushing their pixelated self-image.

bogh

I had some guy who refused to renew his contract and apparently hated me. I couldn't get him sold, so in the end I told the media how worthless he was, barred him permanently from training and stuck him in the reserve team. In the end he ended up in a semi-pro team in the lower leagues, a lot lower than he would have been eligible for before my dedicated effort to destroy his career.

:menace:

Liep

What I really miss in this game is the ability to wager on games, it dates back to Ultimate Soccer Manager, which in my humble opinion were better than the CM equivalent of the time. You could actually do something with that wad of cash they'd pay you each month.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Jesus, I got promoted in my first season with Forest.  <_<

Now I am bound to have to abandon my youth policies to avoid the big, black hole that is Premiership relegation struggle.

Warspite

What's the verdict on this game then months after release? Does it still make everyone moist? Should I buy? How is the 3D engine?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

I think it's the best adaption of football management ever. The tactical part seems more realistic and works better, and the AI cheats less once you create a super team (which makes it a bit boring after a while).

The last patch seems to have toned down the amazing amount of world-class talents found everywhere as well.

My personal opinion on the 3D engine is that with a good computer, it adds a lot to the game. Watching your team pull even in the 94th minute has never been so heart-stoppingly delicious. The graphics aren't superb, but not bad, and actually are functional. Do your defenders leave 60 yards behind them for the opponents' strikers to exploit? The match engine will show you. Are your strikers constantly being marked and out-muscled? The match will show it.

Sure, some bits are imperfect (like press interaction) and the game wasn't finished when it was released, but now it works well. And with 4 gigs and a quad-core, my computer easily manages 30 leagues and a large database.

bogh

Hmm.

I started a game with FC Nordsjælland and did pretty good, but I have serious problems after the first season. I sign a few quality players (making my line-up much stronger on paper), but I am constantly loosing matches and morale is tanking. I am playing a mediocre team in the league, so I should be getting my arsed kicked by the top five teams (at least away), but that sends my morale into a tailspin and makes me loose all the "easy" games, which in turn lowers my morale even further. I just finished the second season and only avoided relegation by a couple of points, so I am a bit nervous about season three.

Any tips?

Saladin

Quote from: bogh on April 02, 2009, 06:01:50 AM
Hmm.

I started a game with FC Nordsjælland and did pretty good, but I have serious problems after the first season. I sign a few quality players (making my line-up much stronger on paper), but I am constantly loosing matches and morale is tanking. I am playing a mediocre team in the league, so I should be getting my arsed kicked by the top five teams (at least away), but that sends my morale into a tailspin and makes me loose all the "easy" games, which in turn lowers my morale even further. I just finished the second season and only avoided relegation by a couple of points, so I am a bit nervous about season three.

Any tips?

Do you have cash? And what kind of tactics are you using?

bogh

Quote from: Saladin on April 02, 2009, 07:32:54 AM
So y ou have cash? And what kind of tactics are you using?

Yeah, I am fairly well off, in fact. Transfer are mostly limited by players not wanting to play for my club, not by my financial situation.

I generally play offensive short passing with two box players, two offensive midfielders on the wings, two central midfielders or one supplemented by a central defense mid and four backs. Everybody on the wings are set to run forward - midfielders sometimes set to run forward, sometimes not. Generally don't play with target man or play maker.

I vary this pattern from time to time (playing more defensively against stronger teams at away games for instance).

Saladin

Hmm..

I suggest reverting to a 4-2-3-1 to get some stability, atleast against
teams like FCK.                   

What areas of the team do you need to reinforce?

Viking

I suggest lowering expectations before games as well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Just purchased it along with CK+DV through gamers gate.

Need to decide who to start as manager in this version. I like starting in lower ranks and working  way up, and of course can't play my new MLS Sounders team till next edition sadly.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Norgy

Tactics are important in this game.
While you can stay in the same framework most of time, with a 4-4-2 or a 4-1-2-2-1 (an old-fashioned 4-3-3 with wingers, really), it is essential to adapt your style of play to that of the pitch and opposition.

Scout "Next opposition". Always. All the time. And get a scout with 10 or better in tactical knowledge. He will tell you some essential stuff like the style of play of your opposition (don't man-mark and close down good teams who play high-paced direct football), the pitch size (direct football on short and narrow pitches? Not a good move) and their dangermen. Use the OI (opposition instructions) to good effect. Teams playing 4-4-2 with good fullbacks use them as wingers, and they should be shown onto their weaker foot as well as their regular wingers.

When playing on wide and long pitches, don't play a narrow passing game. Play direct with "target man" and "run onto ball" and several players on "try through balls". And for Hod's sake, use fast forwards with forward runs set to often.

And unless you play as Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea or Man Utd, you will struggle in the Premiership at first.  :cry:

Also, training schedules based on key stats for all positions, and good coaches (which in most cases will mean you won't get them... 12+ is somewhat decent for stats).

For matches, look at the odds ahead of the game. Are you the favourite? Then chances are, you should attack, attack and attack. When attacking, what is the greatest danger, apart from missing the target? Getting a long clearance behind your back line. Use fast DCs when attacking, preferably with at least some degree of anticipation, concentration and positioning. When constantly under pressure, having players with high composure and decisions are very helpful.

Also, determination and work rate play a higher role than you would imagine. If you end up a goal or two behind, less determined, lazy fucks give up and you lose 4-0. A determined bunch with higher work rates will try and try until the final whistle, and that's why YOU let two goals in the last 7 minutes when playing against them.

/coach Norgy