From ethnic slaughter to stability in two decades: Croatia joins EU

Started by jimmy olsen, June 30, 2013, 06:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Also, for a history oriented group like this forum, Macedonia is a good for a laugh.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Just starting EU accession negotiations doesn't mean you are eventually admitted. Just ask the Turks. If Serbia turns out a stable rule-of-law democracy, they are welcome to join.

The Larch

Welcome Croats! Hope you don't mind having even more Germans in your coasts and camping sites in the summer.

Btw, if any country joins the EU in the next few years it'll be Iceland.

HVC

knowing the ex-Yugo's a I know I wouldn't let any of them in. Have they learned nothing from Greece?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I don't really think Croatia is bottom of the barrel. They really should have been admitted before Romania and Bulgaria but for their border issues.

Welcome Croats! Hope you don't mind having even more Germans in your coasts and camping sites in the summer.

Btw, if any country joins the EU in the next few years it'll be Iceland.
Didn't they just drop out from the negotiations?
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 02:00:20 PM
I thought there were no provisions for ejecting a member?  Is that just the euro?

You can't kick it but you can effectively shut it off.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on June 30, 2013, 10:43:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 02:00:20 PM
I thought there were no provisions for ejecting a member?  Is that just the euro?

You can't kick it but you can effectively shut it off.

Well only if the country they want to shut out is a little country. Trying to shut out Germany or France won't really work.   You know, this was something I brought up way back before the Eurocrisis.  What if one of the big countries abuses one of the small ones.  I used the example of German screwing over Hungary.  I was told this wouldn't happen and silly to think about such things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

A single country alone cannot dictate sanctions. It needs a lot of support precisely because the smaller members didn't want that to happen.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2013, 08:03:27 PM
QuoteBtw, if any country joins the EU in the next few years it'll be Iceland.
Didn't they just drop out from the negotiations?

The negotiations are on hold since the last elections because the new government wants to hold a referendum on it.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2013, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2013, 01:42:04 PM
I don't know. I think that would have caused more damage for Serbia (and Kosovo), but perhaps could have moderated Srpska. Dayton stopped the war but I think it was always based on the idea that there'd be progress and there has been in the region, just not in Bosnia.

Fair point on the curve but Tadic was a genuinely very impressive leader who I think has done a lot to move Serbia on. His successor's a lot less impressive, but the impression I get is that Serbia wants to be a European country now and the momentum's in the right direction. It's starting to look more like a normal EU accession case and less like an absolute disaster. I believe Kosovo's also doing very well.

Shame about Bosnia though :(

In 1900 Central and Eastern Europe was quite multinational in a lot of places, and combined with nationalism that made it unstable. There was a lot of ethnic cleansing that went on, and now there are relatively homogenous countries that make any irredentist nationalism silly.

That isn't an endorsement of ethnic cleansing, but the Yugoslav Wars already basically ethnically cleansed the areas. Croatia and Kosovo have lost a lot of their Serbs (except in the north of Kosovo where there are issues), but Bosnia has been left internally divided (with Serbs in Srpska). The Bosnian case seems much more unstable.

Well, if ethnic cleansing involves forced relocation, such as what happened between Greece and Turkey after their post-WWI tilt, I think a case can be made that it has some merit.  If it just means mass killings, then obviously not.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on July 01, 2013, 07:30:41 AM
Well, if ethnic cleansing involves forced relocation, such as what happened between Greece and Turkey after their post-WWI tilt, I think a case can be made that it has some merit.  If it just means mass killings, then obviously not.

I'm not saying there ever should have been forced relocation. However, by the time of the end of the Yugoslav Wars the relocations had already happened.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"