News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Top 10 generals of all time

Started by Siege, July 01, 2013, 01:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

France is a big name program but they hadn't had a winning season since the 1840's.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2013, 04:51:31 PM
France is a big name program but they hadn't had a winning season since the 1840's.

I beg to differ.  They had impressive winning streaks in the 1854-1859 and 1875-1938 seasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

France suffers from poor defense.  Even their golden boy Napoleon could never organize a great home defense, and it cost them the title.  1870 showed they couldn't field a proper defensive unit, and their attempt at a bunker defense in the 1930s proved to be disastrous.

Really, France has the high BCS ranking because of their past conference glories.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

France made excellent warships in the 1930s, but I'm not sure they were on top of their game at that point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2013, 04:49:08 PM
Yeah but they were both home games. When was the last time Vietnam notched a big road win?

Good point.  Not a real road team.  But to their credit they did spank China's single wing in '79 as well.

You guys say what you want about France, but Dien Bien Phu was probably the greatest upset of the 20th century until Appalachian State at Michigan, 2007.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2013, 04:49:08 PM
Yeah but they were both home games. When was the last time Vietnam notched a big road win?

Good point.  Not a real road team.  But to their credit they did spank China's single wing in '79 as well.

You guys say what you want about France, but Dien Bien Phu was probably the greatest upset of the 20th century until Appalachian State at Michigan, 2007.

That would make the Brits like Arsenal, get an early goal, dig in play possession and defensive football for 50-80 minutes, only to let in a late goal when their guard begins to slip and ultimately lose in extra-time or on penalties. See vs Iraq(Basra) or vs Afghanistan(Helmand).

Sheilbh

Quote from: PDH on July 01, 2013, 06:16:38 PM
France suffers from poor defense.
Yep. The furia francese on the other hand is formidable.

QuoteThat would make the Brits like Arsenal, get an early goal, dig in play possession and defensive football for 50-80 minutes, only to let in a late goal when their guard begins to slip and ultimately lose in extra-time or on penalties. See vs Iraq(Basra) or vs Afghanistan(Helmand).
That's recent though. I think the normal British war is to lose almost catastrophically early on, normally due to xenophobic overconfidence, but somehow have an orderly withdrawal so there's something left and then regain composure.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 01, 2013, 06:16:38 PM
France suffers from poor defense.
Yep. The furia francese on the other hand is formidable.

QuoteThat would make the Brits like Arsenal, get an early goal, dig in play possession and defensive football for 50-80 minutes, only to let in a late goal when their guard begins to slip and ultimately lose in extra-time or on penalties. See vs Iraq(Basra) or vs Afghanistan(Helmand).
That's recent though. I think the normal British war is to lose almost catastrophically early on, normally due to xenophobic overconfidence, but somehow have an orderly withdrawal so there's something left and then regain composure.

Well yes, but that generally required a Navy, something I think that was retired in 1983*.

*yes I know that's not accurate, but it's a nice cheap shot at Thatcherism.  :P