News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 14, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
CNN is saying 300 Brothers and 43 cops killed.

The night Chicago died,
da da da da da da da da.

Government numbers are 278 protesters, but the Muslim Brotherhood insists the actual toll is much higher.  Also 21 police stations and 7 churches were attacked (according to the governments figures.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

OttoVonBismarck

Seven Copt Churches, attacked by Muslim Brotherhood supports.

The Wall Street Journal's main article on the clashes today had this quote from an Egyptian man on the street that 100% sums up my feelings on Egypt:

Quote"Europeans understand democracy but Muslims don't," said Mahmoud Sayed, a 35-year-old protester. "I'm not with the Muslim brotherhood and I'm not with the government. But democracy here doesn't work and I'm here to support the innocent people being killed."

It's simple fact. Egyptians on either the secularist or Islamist side simply aren't fit for democracy. The secularists are too bound up with the military and they seem inclined to just form Mubarak style regimes, the Islamists seem to follow the mold of "win one election, rewrite the rules so we never lose another one."

Kleves

In response to the killings, Obama has cancelled one of the biannual US-Egyptian joint military exercises.  :o
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2013, 09:34:11 AM
In response to the killings, Obama has cancelled one of the biannual US-Egyptian joint military exercises.  :o

This situation really is a nightmare for our foreign policy.  I cannot say it is not a bit entertaining to see us so flumoxed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Kleves

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2013, 09:35:48 AM
This situation really is a nightmare for our foreign policy.  I cannot say it is not a bit entertaining to see us so flumoxed.
Well, Obama did outline a way forward for the Egyptians: they just need to stop killing each other; put together a functioning democracy that respects the rights of everyone, including religious minorities and women; and create a strong economy. So, you know, now they know what to do.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

I thought Kerry's statement condemning the government's action was very one-sided.

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2013, 09:38:16 AM
Well, Obama did outline a way forward for the Egyptians: they just need to stop killing each other; put together a functioning democracy that respects the rights of everyone, including religious minorities and women; and create a strong economy. So, you know, now they know what to do.

They will get right on that I am sure!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 14, 2013, 06:10:19 PM
It's simple fact. Egyptians on either the secularist or Islamist side simply aren't fit for democracy.

I think that is too harsh a judgment.  There are securlarists who are ready for democracy but after decades of Nasserism they have no institutional or organizational capacity to make it work, and are too weak to compete against the deep structures of the Brotherhood and Mubarakites.
Perhaps a bigger problem is that the mass of the people probably don't really care and will accept any governing structure that is reasonably competent, not extremely corrupt, and doesn't bother them too much. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2013, 09:50:19 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 14, 2013, 06:10:19 PM
It's simple fact. Egyptians on either the secularist or Islamist side simply aren't fit for democracy.

I think that is too harsh a judgment.  There are securlarists who are ready for democracy but after decades of Nasserism they have no institutional or organizational capacity to make it work, and are too weak to compete against the deep structures of the Brotherhood and Mubarakites.
Perhaps a bigger problem is that the mass of the people probably don't really care and will accept any governing structure that is reasonably competent, not extremely corrupt, and doesn't bother them too much.

That means they're not fit for democracy, as OvB said.  That whole side of the planet full of monkey people is a waste of effort when it comes to democracy.

Isn't there a son or nephew of Hosni lying around we can throw a uniform with massive epaulettes and a Frisbee hat on, and just do it old-style?  Like when it used to work?

alfred russel

It is a great opportunity to disengage.

US policy in that area is expensive, just makes people hate us, and (arguably) doesn't have any positive effect.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

citizen k

Quote from: alfred russel on August 15, 2013, 12:19:22 PM
It is a great opportunity to disengage.

And stop the defense industry subsidies, which is essentially what our aid to Egypt is? I don't think so.

Sheilbh

The official body count's 700 from clearing the MB (peaceful) protest. The General in charge of the operation said 'they are rats and we will hunt them down'.

The government's appointed generals as governors to, I think, all states and declared a state of emergency and a curfew.

El Baradei's resigned. The Egyptian Social Democrat Party has joined in the trend of calling the MB terrorists.

Their visit was panned but I agree with McCain and Graham, and it looks like the Egyptian government can do anything without a threat to America aid, provided they stick to Camp David.

I was going to say this looks like 1954 but what's happened is way beyond anything Nasser ever did. There are now clashes due to massive protests after Friday prayers.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

1954?  Try making a right turn, and go to 1979.

Sheilbh

As ever Goldberg's worth reading, but I also agree with him here:
QuoteWhat Obama Misunderstands About Egypt
By Jeffrey Goldberg Aug 15, 2013 7:10 PM GMT

This morning, President Barack Obama condemned the Egyptian military's slaughter of Muslim Brotherhood members and sympathizers, and canceled joint military exercises scheduled for next month. He said that the violence should stop and that "a process of national reconciliation should begin."

What the White House fails to understand is that the Egyptian military has very different ideas about what "reconciliation" should look like. Its goal is to destroy the Muslim Brotherhood, its traditional adversary, by killing as many Brothers as possible and by jailing or otherwise hounding the others. As for the surprise registered in the White House that Egypt's military rulers didn't listen to repeated American pleas for reconciliation and compromise: How hard is it to believe that Middle Eastern potentates promised one thing to the U.S., and then did something else entirely?

The generals in Cairo have made cold calculations. One of them is that brutality pays dividends. Yes, there may be short-term consequences to the brutal crackdown: There's still a decent chance that the U.S. will suspend aid to the Egyptian military. But the generals understood that a suspension of aid might be possible in the aftermath of the sort of crackdown we're seeing now. Which means that they have come to think that wiping out the Brotherhood is worth the risk. (They also know that there are plenty of wealthy sheiks in the Persian Gulf who viscerally oppose the Brotherhood and who would be happy to supplement Egypt's defense budget.)

It's important to note that the Egyptian military isn't yet all in -- for an example of an all-in, maximum-violence Middle East eradication campaign, please see Syria. But I don't much doubt that the bloody crackdown on the Brotherhood will continue, despite the heartfelt pleas from the White House and the near daily phone calls from Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel. And one reason is Syria: Egyptian generals can't help but notice that the world has stood idly by as Bashar al-Assad has presided over the deaths of some 100,000 Syrian citizens. In the Middle East, you can, in fact, get away with murder.

The Egyptian military will ultimately fail in its campaign to uproot the Brotherhood, because the group is quite popular in many sectors of Egyptian society and its members are expert at underground living. And the Egyptian military has given the Brotherhood something it seeks: mass martyrdom, which is the most potent motivational tool a theocratic movement has in its arsenal. Egypt is falling into ruin because the Brotherhood is anti-democratic, revanchist, anti-Christian and power-mad, and because the Egyptian military couldn't conceive of a way to marginalize it without resorting to mass violence.

This leaves the U.S. in the difficult position of having no one to support. There is, at this point, no good reason to continue funding the Egyptian armed forces. The aid obviously hasn't provided the White House with sufficient leverage, and it makes the U.S. complicit in what just happened and what will undoubtedly continue to happen. One argument for continued aid is that it encourages the military to maintain Egypt's peace treaty with Israel. But the military will do so whether or not the U.S. provides money and weapons, because it has decided that Islamist extremism, and not Israel, is Egypt's main enemy. And it will be too busy persecuting Egyptians.

I also think Marc Lynch has a point here:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/08/14/enough_is_enough_egypt_cairo_violence_obama_administration
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Atleast he got this part right :  because it has decided that Islamist extremism, and not Israel, is Egypt's main enemy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.