News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by crazy canuck, June 27, 2013, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 11:46:41 AM
The Lebron said to the Gilbert, 'Owner, I have sinned against Cleveland and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called a Cav.'

Tough time imagining a scenario where LeBron is no longer worthy to be called a Cav.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2014, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 11, 2014, 12:40:53 PM
And the legions of "lifelong" Miami Heat fans suddenly disappear into the ether...

As quickly as they leave a game being played in the finals of the NBA championships....

The Spurs beat the Heat so hard they destroyed it as a franchise.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 11, 2014, 01:13:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2014, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 11, 2014, 12:40:53 PM
And the legions of "lifelong" Miami Heat fans suddenly disappear into the ether...

As quickly as they leave a game being played in the finals of the NBA championships....

The Spurs beat the Heat so hard they destroyed it as a franchise.  :lol:

:lol:

The Minsky Moment

Rony Seikaly must still be available for recall.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Lebron going back to Cleveland?

Man, I did not see that one coming.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2014, 01:23:57 PM

It was inevitable, much like Sav going back to Detroit.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Kevin Love says he's willing to sign long term with the Cavs, but so far they haven't offered enough for the Timberwolves. If this deal manages to get done then the Cavs are a lock for the title game given how weak the East is.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 11, 2014, 06:19:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2014, 01:23:57 PM

It was inevitable, much like Sav going back to Detroit.  :ph34r:

:(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 11:46:41 AM
Lebron James is headed back to Cleveland.

The Lebron said to the Gilbert, 'Owner, I have sinned against Cleveland and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called a Cav.'

But the Gilbert said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best Cav Uni and put it on him. Put a Kyrie Irving on his team and lay a max contract at his feet. Bring my open letter to Lebron and burn it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this Lebron of mine was dead to me and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

Ha.

clear heels abandonment issues + beaten wife syndrome + Kermit the Frog's "The Rainbow Connection" = Cleveland sports fans

sbr

I know following the Ray Rice Saga has beena full time job for American sports fans, but has anyone been following the Hawks' shenanigans down in the ATL?

First over the summer Hawks GM Danny Ferry was in a conference call with all of the members of the ownership group and other big wigs talking about how they were going to approach free agents. This is what minority owner J Michael Gearon Jr says when Ferry discussed Luol Deng (allegedly reading from a scouting report put together by someone else):

QuoteDuring the call, which we recorded so that notes could be made for our partners unable to participate live, our GM Danny Ferry discussed player personnel issues at some length. With respect to one potential free agent, a highly-regarded African American player and humanitarian, Ferry talked about the player's good points, and then on to describe his negatives, stating that "he has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out the back." Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly, all persons of African decent) as a two-faced liar and cheat.

Apparently Ferry was previously disciplined for this and the Hawks won't be punishing him further. 

Apparently this Gearon guy hated Danny Ferry and co-owner Bruce Levenson for pushing him to the side in some sort of power struggle, so he started some sort of internal investigation where they found an email Levenson wrote in 2012 where he is lamenting the lack of white fans:

QuoteLevenson noted that when he looked around Philips Arena, he saw that the crowd is "70 percent black," "the cheerleaders are black," and the "music is hip hop." He also added, as if to assure his fellow execs that he'd thought about this issue comprehensively, "I have even bitched that the kiss cam is too black." In the final analysis, Levenson speculated that the team's ticket sales were lagging not because the Hawks haven't had a star player since Dominique Wilkins, but due to the fact that "the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a significant season ticket base."

Levenson announced on Sunday that he is selling his stake in the team.

Valmy

What is up with all the racists in the NBA?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2014, 07:58:28 PM
What is up with all the racists in the NBA?
Team owners are almost all old, rich and white. The demographics skew that way. The NBA, given their hiring practices, seem the least racist of the major sports though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

That sounds more like bizniz than racism to me.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2014, 08:27:38 PM

My black co-workers agree on that, actually.  They think the Levonson email wasn't particularly racist given the context and are getting tired with everyone manufacturing racist issues out of nothing.  "People are just too damn sensitive these days".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2014, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2014, 08:27:38 PM

My black co-workers agree on that, actually.  They think the Levonson email wasn't particularly racist given the context and are getting tired with everyone manufacturing racist issues out of nothing.  "People are just too damn sensitive these days".

I'm glad you can provide us with a direct connection to how black people feel. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.