Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by crazy canuck, June 27, 2013, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on June 13, 2019, 10:02:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2019, 09:19:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2019, 05:12:43 PM
I can't remember a game in any sport I've watched or been at where people cheered an injury.

You have obviously never attended a game in Philadelphia

Heck, in Philly, they'll cheer for injuries to the hometown players.  ;)

Seriously, it's distasteful and classless, but let's not pretend it's never happened before.

Nobody is pretending it does not happen.  My point is it should not be excused or normalized.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2019, 10:05:01 AM
Quote from: dps on June 13, 2019, 10:02:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2019, 09:19:37 PM
I can't remember a game in any sport I've watched or been at where people cheered an injury.

You have obviously never attended a game in Philadelphia

Heck, in Philly, they'll cheer for injuries to the hometown players.  ;)

Seriously, it's distasteful and classless, but let's not pretend it's never happened before.

Nobody is pretending it does not happen.  My point is it should not be excused or normalized.

Yi said he couldn't remember seeing it happening before, though I wouldn't exactly accuse him of pretending. 

I don't think that anyone is excusing it just because it isn't unique.

Josephus

Clicked on this thread and it took me to Page One. Ha, never opened it before.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2019, 09:29:18 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 13, 2019, 09:06:50 AM

Someone didn't grow up with season tickets to Miami Hurricanes football.  :hmm:

Do all people who did hold views similar to you?

They would all be aware that for decades there is a subset of sports fans that will cheer injuries to rivals.

There is probably less unanimity on topics such as religion and politics.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2019, 09:13:18 AM
Patrick McCaw a 23 year old borderline bench players has the chance to win his 3rd straight NBA title.

And he has his 3rd ring now! He's won it in every season he has been in the league, the definitive good luck charm. Congrats to the Raptors.

The Warriors were truly jinxed in the playoffs, Thompson torn his ACL last night...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2019, 01:50:13 PM
Clicked on this thread and it took me to Page One. Ha, never opened it before.

Enjoy it. I'm still upset about the Falcons choking in the Super Bowl a couple years ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Happy for Gasol! The warriors were indeed jinxed and it's a weird way to end a dinasty, but injuries are also part of sport.

Grey Fox

Those kind of injuries means you got old & played a lot of Basketball.

I'm happy!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Great week for pro sports championships :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2019, 06:11:50 AM
Those kind of injuries means you got old & played a lot of Basketball.

I'm happy!

Thompson is amazingly fit and durable.  He is also not that old.  It is very difficult to land properly after colliding in mid air at full extension (Although I think that was a clean block).  Because of the contact he came down in an awkward angle.  That kind of injury can happen to anyone.

You are right about Durant though.  At his age the Achilles is vulnerable and especially when trying to come back to a playoff game after a month off.  I am sad to see great players go out that way.

As an aside I am surrounded by Timmay's - people at the gym were talking about how "we" won

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

I wonder if the Raptors will be received at the White House, Trump notwithstanding. Or should Trudeau receive them instead?

Grey Fox

The 1992 Blue Jays visited the White House
The 1993 Blue Jays did not
The 1993 Habs did not
The 2017 MLS champion Toronto FC did not.

So...probably not?

There is also the chance that Trudeau will not be PM when they do visit, we're having federal elections in October.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

My bet is Trudeau's staff is arranging the visit asap.  Why would he pass on all this good will?

saskganesh

Toronto Mayor John Tory has gotten a lot of good play on being a Raptors' supporter. So Trudeau, who needs the votes, has to make a significant gesture.
humans were created in their own image