News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by crazy canuck, June 27, 2013, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2014, 09:47:52 AM
I'm glad you can provide us with a direct connection to how black people feel. :)

:rolleyes: The way race issues (or false ones) often come up I was expecting to hear the opposite.  That's why I mentioned it. 

But going forward I'll defer to you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

The tricky thing with black people is they often disagree with each other.  Yet almost all of them vote Democrat anyway.  It is a conundrum.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Tricky tricky tricky tricky.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 07:59:49 AM
Tricky?

It makes it difficult to get a good feel for their opinions just by asking a few black people you might know personally.  You would probably have to poll them or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Like all other populations.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2014, 10:59:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 07:59:49 AM
Tricky?

It makes it difficult to get a good feel for their opinions just by asking a few black people you might know personally.  You would probably have to poll them or something.

Black seems unnecessary in that statement and in the post of yours I queried about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2014, 11:01:07 AM

The joke doesn't work if you explain it.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2014, 11:06:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2014, 11:01:07 AM

The joke doesn't work if you explain it.

Generally jokes aim to be funny. Well good ones. :)

:P

Alcibiades

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2014, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2014, 08:27:38 PM
That sounds more like bizniz than racism to me.

My black co-workers agree on that, actually.  They think the Levonson email wasn't particularly racist given the context and are getting tired with everyone manufacturing racist issues out of nothing.  "People are just too damn sensitive these days".

RACIST   :mad:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 11:07:33 AM
Generally jokes aim to be funny. Well good ones. :)

:P

Hey sometimes I hit and sometimes I miss.

Eddie Teach

The important thing is to keep swinging.  :)

sbr

The 360 jump shot is really under-utilized in today's game.

http://www.gfycat.com/AcidicMeanArmednylonshrimp

sbr

Roy Tarpley died yesterday.  Dude was an amazing player, too bad he couldn't keep clean.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/former-mavs-star--cautionary-tale-roy-tarpley-dies-at-50-014354156.html

QuoteFormer Mavs star, cautionary tale Roy Tarpley dies at 50

One of the most gifted and ultimately tragic talents in NBA history has died. Former Dallas Mavericks big man Roy Tarpley, a terrific scorer and rebounder whose career was derailed by drug and alcohol abuse, died in a Dallas hospital Friday at 50 years old.

Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News has more:

QuoteThe 6-11 Tarpley was the seventh pick in the 1986 draft by the Mavericks out of Michigan. In his second season, he was the NBA's sixth man of the year before drugs and controversy shrouded the rest of his six seasons in the league.
According to a medical examiner's report, Tarpley's death happened at Texas Arlington Health Memorial Hospital. It is a sad ending to one of the most gifted talents ever to play for the franchise. Tarpley had a rare combination of strength and speed that made him one of the best athletes of his era. [...]
He was suspended by the NBA after five games in the 1989-90 season after being arrested for driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest. In 1991, he drew another suspension after a second DWI arrest and months later, he had a third violation and was banned from the league for violating the NBA's drug-use policies.

He returned to the Mavericks briefly in 1994 but then was permanently barred in December, 1995, for violating terms of his aftercare program.

Sefko reports that several members of the Mavericks traveling party, now in Los Angeles for a Saturday game vs. the Clippers at Staples Center, were informed that Tarpley died due to liver failure, but that has not yet been confirmed.

Tarpley's story is one of massive talent lost to addiction and substance abuse. He joined the Mavericks after an excellent collegiate career at Michigan and immediately gave their guard heavy lineup a credible interior threat. His award-winning campaign in 1987-88 included averages of 17.9 ppg and 12.9 rpg during the team's trip to the Western Conference Finals, where they took the eventual champion Lakers to seven games.

Unfortunately, that proved to be the peak of his career. Tarpley began to suffer a string of knee injuries the next season, after which his drug and alcohol problems began to lead to suspensions. Yet it's telling that Tarpley still managed to average double-digit points and rebounds in the midst of his troubles, including 20.4 ppg and 11.0 rpg in his five games of 1990-91. He could have accomplished so much if he had been able to stay on the court.

It is also worth noting that Tarpley later sued the NBA and the Mavericks for violating the American with Disabilities Act in keeping him off the court throughout his struggles with addiction. The case was settled out of court in 2009.

Tarpley will be remembered overwhelmingly as a cautionary tale and disappointment, but his impact on the basketball landscape should not be forgotten. With his combination of strength and speed, he served as a precursor to many do-everything power forwards of the '90s like fellow Michigan product Chris Webber and even Kevin Garnett. His 304 total career regular season and playoff games were meaningful, if also far too few.