News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Board Games (And Card Games) that aren't war games

Started by Korea, June 26, 2013, 11:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Seven Wonders is quite fun, have played it a fair bit.

Dominion was fun the first forty times or so and I was impressed by it, but after awhile it just lost it's touch with me and they of course came out with a dozen expansions and I lost track of it all.

I enjoy Uwe Rosenberg's games, Ora et Labora being his most recent. 

Dominant Species is a great game that I am playing a lot lately as well.

Warspite

I've had a lot of fun with Love Letter.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129622/love-letter

It's a card game for up to four people and though it's simple, it's very entertaining. Lots of bluffing and deduction. It appeals to my hardcore boardgaming group as much as it does to my girlfriend's family, which says something.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2013, 12:19:07 AM
I need Toni to come back so I can pester people to play with. Since Seedy wont come here.

Nigga, Philly's right up the road.  Bring your ass back here.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2013, 02:56:14 AM
My group also plays non-wargames almost exclusively although luckily they prefer the heavier ones. Like Republic of Rome or High Frontier. Those were my influence.  :menace:

You mean they stole those games?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Korea

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2013, 11:40:55 PM
We play Last Night On Earth with friends once a month or so. And we're looking at the Spartacus board game which has received great reviews (but holding out for the Firefly game from the same developers).

I still want them to get to play Arkham Horror, though. <_<

I loved Arkham Horror. Of course, my first time playing it I decided we should fight Cthulu. Bad bad bad idea. Even though we lost I really enjoyed it. Would not play with more than 4 or 5 people though.

I am kind of Meh on Last Night on Earth. Just really couldn't get into it.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: Habbaku on June 27, 2013, 08:20:47 PM
Seven Wonders is a lot of fun.  I played that 4 times this past weekend.

I love this game. I like playing my friends version because he made little cheat sheets for all the various symbols and scoring and what not.

Korea

Quote from: frunk on June 27, 2013, 12:07:24 PM
Recently played games I like:

Sentinels of the Multiverse: Excellent co-op Superhero card game, a little tough to find but the latest printing of the enhanced edition should be hitting stores soon.

I tried this game but I'm pretty sure the guy teaching it was an Aspie. Made it pretty unenjoyable. Have you tried Legendary? It's another superhero co op card game. It's more deck buildy though. And has an MVP (so even though you win or lose as a group there is still a single winner." It's Marvel heroes and villains. It's a lot of fun.

Korea

Quote from: Warspite on July 08, 2013, 11:38:10 AM
I've had a lot of fun with Love Letter.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129622/love-letter

It's a card game for up to four people and though it's simple, it's very entertaining. Lots of bluffing and deduction. It appeals to my hardcore boardgaming group as much as it does to my girlfriend's family, which says something.

I love this as a little quick and dirty when ever we are waiting on every one to get settled and pick a game. It's really cute.

frunk

Quote from: Korea on July 09, 2013, 10:35:58 AM

I tried this game but I'm pretty sure the guy teaching it was an Aspie. Made it pretty unenjoyable. Have you tried Legendary? It's another superhero co op card game. It's more deck buildy though. And has an MVP (so even though you win or lose as a group there is still a single winner." It's Marvel heroes and villains. It's a lot of fun.

Haven't tried Legendary, but any Co-op will suffer if you have one person trying to play for everyone.  I'd give SotM another try, without that person if you can manage it.

Korea

Quote from: frunk on July 09, 2013, 11:29:30 AM
Quote from: Korea on July 09, 2013, 10:35:58 AM

Haven't tried Legendary, but any Co-op will suffer if you have one person trying to play for everyone.  I'd give SotM another try, without that person if you can manage it.

Well, I know I should try it again. It's ridiculously popular are the game stores I frequent. But Aspie shows up at my main game store a lot. Just sitting there...with his SotM and King of Tokyo on display....staring at me. I would feel bad playing it in front of him without him...

Alexandru H.

I'm usually playing:

7 Wonders. I've even played it in 2 while each controlling 3 factions. The mechanics of the game are great, even with these limitations, if you have a dedicated and smart partner.

Smallworld. Who doesn't love berserking skeletons?

Elder Sign. I wanted Arkham Horror but it would have been an useless investment, considering my gaming group (I would have played it twice per year, max). Elder Sign is simpler but it has enough meat to be satisfied.

Pandemic. Stress is the key ingredient here, I can't remember winning a game before the last turn was up.

Alhambra. This one is for the non-aggressive crowd and women usually love it.

And of course the more usual games, like Settlers of Catan, King of Tokyo or Munchkin.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2013, 08:29:58 PM
I need Toni to come back so I can pester people to play with. Since Seedy wont come here.

I don't have a house with no mortgage there like i do here. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on July 11, 2013, 02:25:08 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2013, 08:29:58 PM

I don't have a house with no mortgage there like i do here. :P

Pfft.

Korea

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2013, 08:32:02 AM
We like this one: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/917622/betrayal-at-house-on-the-hill

Simple and fun.

This is one of my go to games when I'm trying to introduce people to gaming. I really want a better way to keep track of the stats though because those little black pieces slide all over the place.