News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Texas tampers with vote date - still fails

Started by merithyn, June 26, 2013, 05:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2013, 05:40:07 PM
I think the only reasonable position is to accept that both sides have legitimate arguments.
:yes: That's why abortion is going to remain an issue for the foreseeable future, while something like gay marriage will probably go away sooner rather than later.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

I wonder about the legitimacy of the anti-abortion arguments.  I mean, no social good can come out of banning or even heavily restricting abortion, right?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 19, 2013, 06:08:22 PM
I wonder about the legitimacy of the anti-abortion arguments.  I mean, no social good can come out of banning or even heavily restricting abortion, right?

Social good's got nothing to do with scripture.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2013, 04:57:25 PM
And a right to lifer would reply that society has an obligation to protect the life of the unborn, and we're no further along than before.

They're welcome to protect the lives of their unborn children. :mellow: That's between them and their doctors. That's my point.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ancient Demon

Texas and some other states have always been anti-abortion, so I wonder why such a law wasn't passed previously.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Barrister

Well, it depends, doesn't it.  At one end, aborting a fetus who would have been viable and alive if born sounds a whole hell of a lot like murder, doesn't it?

On the other end it seems hard to get too upset about aborting an unimplanted zygote.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2013, 11:14:19 PM
Well, it depends, doesn't it.  At one end, aborting a fetus who would have been viable and alive if born sounds a whole hell of a lot like murder, doesn't it?

On the other end it seems hard to get too upset about aborting an unimplanted zygote.
But that's not what we're talking about here.  Texas isn't passing laws to restrict late-term abortions because they're consumed with concern for the viable eight-month fetuses getting aborted.  They're passing laws to restrict abortion because their religion demands that they hate and persecute women who act in ways that they find immoral.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2013, 11:05:56 PM
They're welcome to protect the lives of their unborn children. :mellow: That's between them and their doctors. That's my point.

I got your point.  And the right to lifer responds you don't have a right to kill your unborn child, just like you don't have a right to kill your child when he or she is a toddler.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2013, 01:40:05 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2013, 11:05:56 PM

I got your point.  And the right to lifer responds you don't have a right to kill your unborn child, just like you don't have a right to kill your child when he or she is a toddler.

I do while that child is a parasite living off my body. That's what seems to get lost. It is a parasite causing untold damage to the host. While that's the case, the host body should be the only one with a say in how they handle it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2013, 07:57:07 AM
I do while that child is a parasite living off my body.

And then, at 15, a parasite living off your refrigerator.  IS THAT A STICK OF BUTTER YOURE EATING?

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2013, 07:58:50 AM
I do while that child is a parasite living off my body.

And then, at 15, a parasite living off your refrigerator.  IS THAT A STICK OF BUTTER YOURE EATING?

:lol:

Admiral Yi

I do while that child is a parasite living off my body. That's what seems to get lost. It is a parasite causing untold damage to the host. While that's the case, the host body should be the only one with a say in how they handle it.

A legitimate argument.