News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Supreme Court strikes down DOMA

Started by Kleves, June 26, 2013, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Overt religiosity in the workplace is horrible and people like that should be clubbed, but it's so ubiquitous in my Federal office building job that I'm going to assume in the private sector which has none of our "diversity" programs and theoretical separation of church and state concerns that it is even more prevalent. It's never worthwhile to be the one going fighting those battles in the work place.

Caliga

My particular office is actually very good about avoiding all mention of religion.  It's probably because it's mostly an office of accountants (who have no emotions) and lawyers (who know better).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2013, 11:31:22 AM
Overt religiosity in the workplace is horrible and people like that should be clubbed, but it's so ubiquitous in my Federal office building job that I'm going to assume in the private sector which has none of our "diversity" programs and theoretical separation of church and state concerns that it is even more prevalent. It's never worthwhile to be the one going fighting those battles in the work place.

I always found it interesting how an admin assistant caught shit over her little 4" by 6" portrait of Jesus on her desk as offensive--

but the Lieutenant's sprawling 2' portrait of this--

in his office wasn't.

Although, to be fair, that's an entirely different flavor of offensive.  :lol:

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on June 26, 2013, 11:18:55 AM
Co-worker is organzing a prayer circle in protest of DOMA being struck down. She's doing it quietly via email, but I still know it's happening. At least she was smart enough not to include me in the email request.
I can understand why that would be.  Nothing is worse than a Wiccan or a Viking when you try and include them socially in anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I've only had one instance of religion or religiousity being a problem in the workplace. 

Some stupid girl raised a stink over some voodoo dolls our director handed out to us as part of an effort to improve work efficiency (we were supposed to put curses on things like programming errors & whatnot-- sounds stupid but it was actually kind of fun) and an HR person came by & snagged them all off our desks.  She didn't even work in our department, but said that seeing the voodoo dolls offended her as a Christian or something.

Outside of that, a person's religious views have never been an issue in any place I worked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2013, 11:47:01 AM
I've only had one instance of religion or religiousity being a problem in the workplace. 

Some stupid girl raised a stink over some voodoo dolls our director handed out to us as part of an effort to improve work efficiency (we were supposed to put curses on things like programming errors & whatnot-- sounds stupid but it was actually kind of fun) and an HR person came by & snagged them all off our desks.  She didn't even work in our department, but said that seeing the voodoo dolls offended her as a Christian or something.

Outside of that, a person's religious views have never been an issue in any place I worked.

Why would that offend a Christian? :huh:

I could see it offending a VooDoo practitioner more than a Christian, though I doubt a VooDoo practitioner would care that much. They'd probably get a chuckle out of it. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 11:43:10 AM

in his office wasn't.

Although, to be fair, that's an entirely different flavor of offensive.  :lol:

That is absolutely awesome.  If I hadn't already put up the demotivational pictures in my office I'd so buy that & put it up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 26, 2013, 11:31:22 AM

I'm not sure why, but nothing irritates me more than listening to a co-worker's voicemail end with, "And have a blessed day!" What if I want an evil day? Fuck you. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

For some reason, the "have a blessed day" people down here are all either old or African-American, and almost all of them are female.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2013, 11:50:41 AM
That is absolutely awesome.  If I hadn't already put up the demotivational pictures in my office I'd so buy that & put it up.

:lol:  That is so atrociously bad, I'd have more respect for you if you lined your office with Princess Diana commemorative dishes.  :lol:

Caliga

My mother in law has a bunch of those dishes on one of those dumb ceiling shelf things in her kitchen. :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 11:54:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2013, 11:50:41 AM

:lol:  That is so atrociously bad, I'd have more respect for you if you lined your office with Princess Diana commemorative dishes.  :lol:

Hmm.  I'll see what I can find.  I do have some Obama commemorative plates I bought for 2 bucks a pop in 2009 to use as gag gifts.  Still have three left, I think.  They'll be funnier when he's out of office, though.

derspiess

Here are some plate ideas from ebay:

Caliga

Governor Moonbeam ordered country clerks to begin issuing gay marriage licenses in CA again pending lifting of whatever temporary court order was preventing that.

Ed Anger

Meri's poor attitude would earn her a talking to in my office.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive