News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WI Red Army competence in 1941?

Started by Queequeg, June 23, 2013, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2013, 09:53:12 PM
The problem in 1941 wasn't as much incompetence in the military, but the isolated position that Stalin put the Soviet Union in.   And his behavior wasn't irrational in this regard.  Britain and France didn't look like good allies with their tacit approval of Franco and the Czech thing.  He miscalculated Hitler's behavior (which everyone did), and he miscalculated how warfare would look in the 1940's.

To really prevent a disastrous 1941 he needs to either be eliminated at much earlier date (like 1918), or betray Hitler in 1940.
I think you are wildly underestimating how catastrophic the initial phase of Barbarossa was.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 06:53:41 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
This seems to be a Timmay "What if everything was good for the Soviets" type of scenario.  Given that Stalin was Stalin, I can't see such things happening.

German combined arms doctrine, experience and air power still smokes the Red Army in 1941, regardless of who is in charge.
I'm not suggesting the Red Army parading in Berlin in 1942. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 07:26:13 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 23, 2013, 07:18:33 PM
And this would end up with the US owning much of northern Mexico on your map?

No Lend Lease to the Soviets --> Confederate States of America joins the Axis.

No way, man. It was the British and French intervention that let the CSA be a country in the first place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2013, 10:32:32 PM

I'm suggesting that the Timmay whacking material scenario in your original post wouldn't matter for shit when it came to dealing with a FULLY ARMED and OPERATIONAL DEUTSCHE STAR in 1941.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 10:47:11 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2013, 10:32:32 PM

I'm suggesting that the Timmay whacking material scenario in your original post wouldn't matter for shit when it came to dealing with a FULLY ARMED and OPERATIONAL DEUTSCHE STAR in 1941.
The Nazis weren't going to win the Eastern Front.  This just pushes Bagration up a year or so. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2013, 10:57:41 PM
The Nazis weren't going to win the Eastern Front.

I didn't say they would.

QuoteThis just pushes Bagration up a year or so.

So why didn't you say so in the first place, instead of starting a Timmay alt-hist whack thread?

Queequeg

I laid out some conditions that I think were relatively likely, and thought most people would come to the same conclusion-that Bagration happens in 43, that Berlin is taken in 44, that most of Central Europe comes under Soviet domination, and that the balance of power is similarly changed by a far earlier assault on Manchuria.  I was primarily interested in how this would change the calculus of the Cold War, and how the Nazis would respond to finding out a year earlier that the USSR wasn't going to collapse as effortlessly as the Third Republic. 

CountDeMoney

If Bagration starts a year early, the Western Allies don't get to the Elbe;  but the Red Army gets to the Rhine.  Germany remains united behind the Curtain.

Valmy

Britain and France didn't look like good allies with their tacit approval of Franco and the Czech thing.

Still fail to see why that made the Germans better ones.  They did more than simply tacitly approve of Franco and were more directly responsible for the Czech thing.

QuoteHe miscalculated Hitler's behavior (which everyone did)

In 1939?  Even the British and the French had caught on by then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2013, 11:30:25 PM
Britain and France didn't look like good allies with their tacit approval of Franco and the Czech thing.

Still fail to see why that made the Germans better ones.  They did more than simply tacitly approve of Franco and were more directly responsible for the Czech thing.

QuoteHe miscalculated Hitler's behavior (which everyone did)

In 1939?  Even the British and the French had caught on by then.

I'm unclear who "they" is in the first sentence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 11:24:07 PM
If Bagration starts a year early, the Western Allies don't get to the Elbe;  but the Red Army gets to the Rhine.  Germany remains united behind the Curtain.
Would a Russian landing on Japan have been possible?

Sophie Scholl

Patton's wetdream.  US led gangbang of the USSR with atomic accompaniment.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 24, 2013, 12:51:49 AM
Patton's wetdream.  US led gangbang of the USSR with atomic accompaniment.

But what if, in this reality, Bizarro Oppenheimer is a nice guy? Will he build an atomic toaster instead of a bomb?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Good question.  I'm also wondering who is leading Germany, since John Cusack hired a young Adolf Hitler on as an artist at his gallery. :hmm:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2013, 11:54:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2013, 11:24:07 PM
Would a Russian landing on Japan have been possible?

Maybe with a catapult.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.