Turkish EU minister threatens Merkel with "inauspicious end"

Started by Syt, June 22, 2013, 04:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Ah but that's the thing. With their population they would not be a minor player at the EU at all.

CountDeMoney

From what I've read from here, the Euros would seem content marginalizing the Turks as much as possible in their reindeer games.

Syt

A Turko-German comedian caught a bit of flak about Turkey joining the EU for joking, "Europeans are worried that if Turkey joins the EU all the uneducated, poor, islamist Turks will come to their countries. I say: don't worry. They're all already here."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on June 23, 2013, 09:57:43 PM
Ah but that's the thing. With their population they would not be a minor player at the EU at all.

With their economic growth they may outpace some of the Mediterranean countries in a decade or two.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I hope Turkey faces east. Its hairy ass would still be a better sight than its retarded face.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Meanwhile in Vienna ...

This weekend, 1,500 Turks/Austro-Turks protested against Erdogan. 15,000 protested for him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 24, 2013, 02:14:05 AM
Meanwhile in Vienna ...

15,000 protested for him.

Shit like this, I will never get. If their homeland is so great, what the FUCK are they doing in Austria? Go home and be a proud patriot there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2013, 02:45:06 AM
Shit like this, I will never get. If their homeland is so great, what the FUCK are they doing in Austria? Go home and be a proud patriot there.

Yeah.  Tell them to beet it.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2013, 02:46:09 AM

Yeah.  Tell them to beet it.

:rolleyes:

Syt

Meanwhile in Vienna ...

15,000 protested for him.

Well, official sides speak of it being more like 8,000. I had noticed the posters all over my district with Erdogan's picture, some Turkish text, and place and time of the gathering.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Meanwhile in Vienna ...

This weekend, 1,500 Turks/Austro-Turks protested against Erdogan. 15,000 protested for him.

How about some real figures?
How many with tracksuits and/or Tony Montana t-shirts?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

A member of parliament for the Greens in Austria (who has Turkish parents) got into a bit of a tiff, because he said that if 8,000 people demonstrate for Erdogan, then that should be 8,000 one way tickets to Turkey. He had to retract that statement, because his party (pro-immigration for, well, everybody) was not amused.

The left wing (also pro-immigration) hispter paper Der Standard said in its front page editorial that it should be no surprise that a large part (euphemism on their part) of the Turkish migrant community is conservative, religious and nationalist. Still, the protesters should be glad they can gather without fear of being attacked with tear gas, water cannons and nightsticks. And that if they come to Austria to live here, they shouldn't bring their home country's conflicts with them. However, they think that the support for Erdogan, who is actively courting Turks throughout Europe ("Calls for assimilation are crimes against humanity!") shows that current integration politics are not working.

Also, Erdogan spoke live via phone to the gathering in Vienna, thanking for their support, and condemning the Gezi Park protests ("They tore off women's head scarves!").

The gathering's organizer remains anonymous, and the demonstration also attracted people showing Albanian, Bosnian, Somalian and Palestinian flags. A Somali said, "Erdogan gives hope to the whole Muslim world, that's why there's many non-Turks here." The favorite slogans were "The Turksh diaspora is with you!", "Vienna is with you!", and "Ya Allah, Bismillah, Allahu Ekber!" (By God, in the name of God, God is Greater!) Police cordoned off two food places belonging to the "Türkis" chain, which is supposedly anti-AKP and pro-PKK (their restaurant near the subway station in my district is one of the best Turkish food places, though).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grallon

It's called 'eating one's cake and keeping it' or 'having the best of both worlds' - that is to say living by Western standards which they couldn't achieve in the shithole home country they came from while insisting to keep the shithole country values that couldn't produce a nice way of life to begin with.

In other words - it's called being a parasite.  And we stupidly allow hordes of them in  :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Meanwhile we have the Grallons of the world who contribute so much to society.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.