Paula Deen fired from Food Network for racist comments

Started by jimmy olsen, June 22, 2013, 01:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 11:58:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 11:54:02 AM
The thing that strikes me about this is from what I have read this became public through the release of her answers to questions in a Deposition in a law suit.  In Canada answers given in our equivalent (called an examination for discovery) are strictly confidential and can only be used for the purposes of the litigation.  It would be a contempt of Court for a party to use the transcript in this way.

But that only applies to the parties involved.  If the transcript leaks out third parties can't generally be sanctioned.

If it "leaks" out there is only one source for that occuring. ;)

Nope - minimum of two sources. ;)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 12:06:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2013, 11:58:55 AM
The thing that strikes me about this is from what I have read this became public through the release of her answers to questions in a Deposition in a law suit.  In Canada answers given in our equivalent (called an examination for discovery) are strictly confidential and can only be used for the purposes of the litigation.  It would be a contempt of Court for a party to use the transcript in this way.

But that only applies to the parties involved.  If the transcript leaks out third parties can't generally be sanctioned.

If it "leaks" out there is only one source for that occuring. ;)

Nope - minimum of two sources. ;)

Yeah, because logically it makes sense for a person to reveal damaging statments they made during a discovery. :P

Barrister

Since when does logic have to do with proving contempt of court? :p
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

In the United States, deposition transcripts (and all other discovery materials) are not confidential unless a party has specifically moved the court for a protective order restricting the use of such materials.

As a practical matter, it is common for the parties to a lawsuit to agree in advance that a party can designate transcripts confidential, and to restrict their dissemination, but it is not required.

And since deposition transcripts must usually be filed in full in connection with motions for / against summary judgment, if they are cited in part, unless the transcript was designated confidential it would be expected to end up on the public record as a matter of course.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on June 24, 2013, 12:36:34 PM
And since deposition transcripts must usually be filed in full in connection with motions for / against summary judgment, if they are cited in part, unless the transcript was designated confidential it would be expected to end up on the public record as a matter of course.

Interesting.  Here only the material portions of a transcript can be used for such purposes and it would be considered an abuse of process amounting to a contempt of court to make further portions of the transcript public through filing in support of a motion.

Even at trial only material portions of the transcript are entered into evidence.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

That sucks but she once used donuts as hamburger breads. That lardass culinary sodomite was emblematic of everything wrong with the current Western diet. The stores by and large don't sell real food anymore, and if they accidently do, it's tucked away in the produce aisles to the sides.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2013, 01:38:29 PM
The stores by and large don't sell real food anymore, and if they accidently do, it's tucked away in the produce aisles to the sides.

That is the way it has always been...at least since I have been alive.  Real food around the edges, processed crap in the middle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2013, 04:53:48 PM
The stores by and large don't sell real food anymore, and if they accidently do, it's tucked away in the produce aisles to the sides.

That is the way it has always been...at least since I have been alive.  Real food around the edges, processed crap in the middle.

So food is only real if unprocessed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2013, 12:02:55 PM
I don't know if it's political correctness run amok, but in any case, it's good when bad things happen to people who teach people to cook so atrociously.  She's probably responsible for the premature deaths of billions of pounds worth of people.

I actually have no problem with how she cooked. A large portion of her dishes were Southern comfort food classics. A few were retarded and I think just her buying into the "anti-healthy" schtick (for example a sandwich that instead of buns uses two glazed Krispy Kreme Donuts, I don't think anyone has ever actually eaten that without realizing they were crossing the line from human into inhuman monster.)

I agree with the Julia Child philosophy on cooking. She viewed it as her job to show the recipe that had the richest, best flavors, not the most healthy. On the flipside, she never advocated you eat what she showed you 7 days a week, she left it up to you to decide how often to eat rich foods. FWIW (and while Deen isn't one of them) a lot of fine dining chefs who make heavy use of rich, fatty ingredients are pretty open about the fact that their food is "occasion meals" and not what you should eat every day of the week.

OttoVonBismarck

Plus, if you see a recipe and want a healthier version, it's common sense how to make it. Substitute low fat margarine for butter, substitute whole eggs with eqg whites etc.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 05:13:49 PM

Yes, I know millions of North Americans disagree with that concept.  But that is one of the reasons there are so many fat North Americans.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 06:00:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 05:13:49 PM

Yes, I know millions of North Americans disagree with that concept.  But that is one of the reasons there are so many fat North Americans.

So I guess goodbye to most foods that one can store for more than a day. And an increase in disease you get from raw milk. Yay!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Well, "unprocessed" is kind of a broad brush. Practically nothing has no "processing" involved. Unless you buy your chickens with the feathers still on.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers