Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

DGuller

See 25 year debt thread for details.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Yes in the developed world sense. No in a universal sense.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

If we apply the universal sense is it actually possible for anyone in Canada to be poor?

Neil

I think it depends on how you define 'poor'.  Context is everything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

No really a pollable question.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2013, 05:10:35 PM

True, but malthus was being mean and using actual data and stuff.  DG has to get data that supports his position from somewhere, and this will become "polls show that most..." or "polls show that almost half..." data in a few hours.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2013, 06:27:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2013, 05:10:35 PM

True, but malthus was being mean and using actual data and stuff.  DG has to get data that supports his position from somewhere, and this will become "polls show that most..." or "polls show that almost half..." data in a few hours.
The standard definition of poverty is ill-suited for Malthus's case.  Comparing a poor person with young Malthus is like comparing someone who walks the tight rope 1000 feet up from the ground, and someone who does it 1 foot off the ground.  It's the same kind of exercise, but it's not really.  The different levels of anxiety about your future well-being makes the two experiences vastly different. 

This is precisely the kind of question that is best answered with judgment sprinkled in, rather than purely with numbers.  Given the poll results so far, my faith in the judgment of Languish posters has been well-justified.  :)

Ideologue

Good God, no.  It's part of his self-made man story, to which liberals are unfortunately not immune, though at least it usually doesn't ordinarily serve as the foundational justification for higher-order douchiness with folks like Mal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

This thread frightens and confuses me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

You aren't poor until you have mixed all the ingredients in your apartment into a "creamed corn and Bisquick" casserole.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

derspiess

No.  Jews in North America just aren't poor.  Not in any of our lifetimes, anyway.  Except maybe grumbler's.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall